Fuji Fuji X10 Super Control Panel?

wt21

Hall of Famer
Is there something akin to a Super Control Panel on the X10, where you can see all your settings in one screen, and just click on the 4-way controller to navigate?

Bill, I don't think so; just paged through the manual and didn't see anything that resembles the SCP. I'm sure a regular user or two will chime in.

We're spoiled by Olympus, aren't we?

Certainly are ;)

I don't think the X10 is for me, but I had more of a play today with it. Wow! EXR Auto is like magic. I know it's only 6MP, but I did some shots compared to my EPM1, and the 6MP EXR shots had better DR. The EPM1 would expose to retain the highlights as well as the X10, but the shadows were darker. Then when I left the shadows, yuck.

This is my first Fuji, but know I understand why I've seen comments here and there wishing for Fuji to join m43 and bring their sensor tech with them. The m43 lenses + Fuji sensors = a lot of quality.

I haven't figured out how to use EXR yet...:redface:. But I have some bookmarks to some explanations of how to set it up for various conditions.

When I realize that most of the photos I take will be primarily viewed on a monitor as opposed to printing, I get comfortable with the 6 MP resolution of the X10 for many situations. That's 50% more pixels than my first digital, from which I derived a lot of satisfaction. Come to think of it, my first DSLR (Canon 10D) was only 6MP.

First, the only Fuji that has a "super control panel" type of interface is the X-Pro, which has a "Q" button that brings up an essentially identical screen.

Second, the EASIEST way to use EXR on the X10 without surrounding total control of the camera is to set the resolution to medium (ie, 6mp), set DR to AUTO or AUTO 400 or whatever its called, and AUTO ISO with whatever high end control you're comfortable with. Then just shoot in aperture priority or shutter priority or whatever and control your favorite variable, and the camera will do the same EXR calculations for both DR and low light but you still get a modicum of control. Try it and do some back to back tests with AUTO EXR and I'll bet you won't see much if any difference in the settings it chooses.

Have fun - great little camera...

-Ray

Back