Fuji Fuji Xpro 1 does IR

Country Parson

Top Veteran
Name
Dan
Taken with camera film simulation set on monochrome (for the first shot and standard for the second) and a Hoya IR filter on 35mm lens. Many f-stops of light loss so done at high ISO hand held.

XproIR2.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

XproIR1.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

WOW! Those are both stunning! I've never done i.r. before but I'd like to have a go at it. Any tricks to it?

I have never done IR before either. I just bought the filter and put it on. It makes a big difference which direction the light is coming from, and most of the ones taken in color mode did not come out well. But it is easy with this camera in monochrome. I believe it is the lack of an AA filter and the design of the sensor that makes it work with the Hoya filter so well. Other on this site may understand the technicalities better than I.

Love the IR. I used the Hoya filter on my Canon DSLR. I want to convert [remove the chip] from my old Powershot so that it shoots IR. but at 2mp not sure how much of a reward that would be. I wonder what pinhole/zone sieve would look like with IR film-- anyone ever do that?

You need to put a clear glass cover over the sensor after removing the IR Absorbing filter to maintain the optical path. I did this for a Nikon Coolpix 950, got the cover from anchor optics.

AnchorOptics.com - Supplies affordable, quality commercial grade and experimental grade optics

I gave that camera away to a college student, have a converted full-spectrum EP2, done by Spencer's camera.

Spencers Camera & Photo Digital Camera Infrared (IR) Conversions, Modifications and IR Photography :: Welcome

On the Fuji- what ISO setting and shutter speed did you use?

That's about 8~9 stops or so down from visible?

If you have a Wii game console at home, I'd be interested in seeing a picture of the LED bar. Good IR source.

These are well done and the increase in good performance at high ISO's is making the use of external IR filters easier. You still don't get focus though unless you go for a dedicated IR camera as Brian has explained. Mine is a Canon G5 which works as if you have visible light for composition and focus. A pro conversion is recommended as the auto focus needs to be adjusted for the longer wavelength of IR.

I bought my G5 on eBay from a private converter - cheaper than the mainstream operators.

Back