Bring Jack back!
Name
Jack
XPro1 version 1.01

Firmware for X-Pro1 | Fujifilm Global

According to the Fuji website:

The firmware update Ver.1.01 incorporates the following issues:

1.Reduction of chattering noise from iris of lenses in shooting mode. :dance3:
2.Improvement of phenomenon that parallax compensation does not work under condition of manual focus with OVF bright frame mode.
3.Improvement of phenomenon that OVF quality as low visibility due to too bright OVF under the condition of power save mode during pressing the shutter button halfway.
4.Improvement of phenomenon that delete function does not work after viewing continues shooting mode images.

For activate above issues completely, firmware update for XF lens is also required.
Please update the firmware of XF lens.

18/2: FUJINON XF lens: XF18mm | Fujifilm Global

35/1.4: Firmware for FUJINON XF lens : XF35mm | Fujifilm Global

60/2.4: Firmware for FUJINON XF Lens : XF60mm | Fujifilm Global

XPro1 in the horizon ... again! :rolleyes:

Tempted for sure ... but I've been wanting to give the OMD a try as well. So I'm trying to hold off until I've at least touched an OMD.

Going on a tangent here ... can face detection auto focus be added via firmware? Or would hardware changes be needed thereby making face detection an impossibility on the XP1?

I suspect face detection could be added in firmware, but I think you need pretty fast AF (which means a really fast processer) to begin with to add that sort of processing and calculating into the process, so I doubt Fuji would do it or that it would work all that well if they did. I just don't think the crowd who uses face detect is particularly who they're after with this camera (or any, for that matter). And if super fast AF isn't a priority of theirs, I think adding face detect would just bring further scorn. So I wouldn't bet on it, but I'd think that's where it would be done.

As for the OMD, you can pretty much know the tradeoffs without even seeing one (I've spent time with one - its great). Very very fast in everything from auto focus to write speed. Great control layout - at least it is to me. Amazing and vaguely unbelievable IBIS (to me this may be the great leap forward with this camera - you have to play with it to believe it). Typically excellent Oly color managment and metering. Awesome flip-out touch-screen - everything I've ever hoped for in a street camera with that combination. Very very very small. Its similar in size to the EP3 but it looks smaller, maybe because it contains the hump and you can't believe a camera with a hump could be so small. The previews have told us a lot. When I picked one up to play with it, nothing about it surprised me (except the size, which I knew about, but didn't really KNOW about). It just confirmed everything I expected. I'm sure the IQ and low light capability will pretty much reflect what we've seen so far - a leap forward for m43, not quite to the level of the best of APS, but more than good enough for most.

-Ray

I suspect face detection could be added in firmware, but I think you need pretty fast AF (which means a really fast processer) to begin with to add that sort of processing and calculating into the process, so I doubt Fuji would do it or that it would work all that well if they did. I just don't think the crowd who uses face detect is particularly who they're after with this camera (or any, for that matter). And if super fast AF isn't a priority of theirs, I think adding face detect would just bring further scorn. So I wouldn't bet on it, but I'd think that's where it would be done.

-Ray

Thanks for the info Ray. I used to scorn face detection as an amateurish feature (even though I AM an amateur). BUT, as of lately, I've moved into the (one man) camp that face detection would be great for a camera like the XPro1, so that I don't have to either fiddle around with the AF focus point, or do a focus and recompose. When dealing with the shallow DOF of a M9 and 50/1.4 or even 35/1.4 lens, I have to be careful when doing a recompose so that the subject doesn't end up off focus. When I was using the XPro1 and its 35/1.4, to avoid focus and recompose, I moved the AF focus point around.

The X10 has a decent face detect and it is supposedly geared towards the enthusiast crowd. Oh well. I'm just happy that the chatter is supposedly lessened. Or maybe even gone!

Didn't they add face detect to the X100?

Also, Ray, curious if you ever tried face detect for your street shots? My first attempt at street stuff was with the E-P3 and 12/2 using zone focus. Not so many keepers. :D I was thinking of maybe trying face detect next time (normally only use that family candids or when my wife is using the camera).

Didn't they add face detect to the X100?

Also, Ray, curious if you ever tried face detect for your street shots? My first attempt at street stuff was with the E-P3 and 12/2 using zone focus. Not so many keepers. :D I was thinking of maybe trying face detect next time (normally only use that family candids or when my wife is using the camera).

I tried it briefly with the EP3 when I briefly had that camera. Not much luck. But then, I've had nothing but good luck with zone focussing that lens, so I rarely try anything else except in really low light when I have to open it up. Then again, you can zone focus that lens at f2 if you're reasonable careful (focus at 7 feet and you've got from 5-12 in focus), so I very rarely AF when I'm street shooting.

Armando, I like face detect when I'm sitting aorund with family and friends doing informal portraits - I'm not dissing it at all. I'm just saying I think it must take a lot of processor power to do well and if you're starting with relatively slow AF, that doesn't seem to be the time or place to try to add face detect.

-Ray

Armando, I like face detect when I'm sitting aorund with family and friends doing informal portraits - I'm not dissing it at all. I'm just saying I think it must take a lot of processor power to do well and if you're starting with relatively slow AF, that doesn't seem to be the time or place to try to add face detect.

-Ray

Oh, I didn't think you were dissing face detection at all Ray. I'm the one that used to diss it. But I'm finding it more useful nowadays as a more efficient way to take people photos. Unfortunately, even when using face detection, it hasn't always worked as I've had out of focus photos as well (like with any other AF camera). The GH2's face detection seems to work better than the GF2 though. So that processor power that you mentioned might be the difference maker there between the GH2 vs. GF2.

For family/friends candids, I think the face detect works great. When I hand the camera to my wife, she uses it like a P&S and 90% of the images are in focus. Not something I leave on all the time, though, because mine seems to give the occasional false positive on a landscape, for example (hey, that shrub is really a person!) Very accurate and fast, it seems, when actual human beings are in the frame.

I tried it briefly with the EP3 when I briefly had that camera. Not much luck. But then, I've had nothing but good luck with zone focussing that lens, so I rarely try anything else except in really low light when I have to open it up. Then again, you can zone focus that lens at f2 if you're reasonable careful (focus at 7 feet and you've got from 5-12 in focus), so I very rarely AF when I'm street shooting.

Thanks for the feedback, Ray. Yup, sounds like zone is the way to go and I need to practice a bit!

Back