Micro 4/3 Ethiopia with my E-PL1 - statistics and info

Alf

Top Veteran
Hi everyone.

EPL13523.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

EPL14423-Edit.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

It took some time to review all my pics and decide which to process, but selection is complete - the survival rate is just below 30%, that is 814 pics out of 2724.

Most of the PP work is also done, so I uploaded to Picasa the whole uncommented bunch so the friends who were there with me could see them - and you can, too: so just head to Ethiopia it you are interested. Some lens attribution is wrong... I know.

I am going to put a selection online together with my notes telling the story behind the pics - I thing I'll just use a blog as it seems easy enough to embed the pics which are already in Picasa. If you have any suggestions about different sites or methods, let me know.

I have a few keepers, and I think those will go in the Book, probably by Blurb - again, suggestions are welcome as it's going to be the first time I try this.

An long last, I'll have a try printing.

Congratulations on a mighty undertaking, Alf! These are two great "teasers" to whet our appetites. The blog sounds great and I'll be checking Picasa over the next few days and can't wait to read your comments when you get it together. I salute you!

Nice Alf!

I have done several on demand photobooks and I find Blurb the best. They have software which you can download which makes making the book very easy. Then you upload it and have it printed. Make sure you are using a calibrated monitor as most uncalibrated LCDs are to bright and your book could be to dark if that is the case.

Also if you will get better results if you resize and sharpen your images to the size they will be in the book before you put it in the book software. The software will do that for you, but I find I get better results if I do it ahead of time with lightroom or photoshop. I also export them as a JPEG at 100% quality.

Wow Alf. You have an incredible collection of shots there. I've seen the couple of shots on dprevew and these couple here, but I just scanned through your whole set on Picasa and its overwhelming! And I mean that in a good way! You should be able to put together an AMAZING book of 100-150 shots from that collection, with all of them being stunners.

I too find Blurb a good way to go for a photo book. I did one coffee table book from a trip last summer direct from Apple and it was great, but I don't think their setup or pricing is competitive for a real photo book of page after page of photos. I did a 120 page Blurb book last summer after a trip we did and I just wrapped up another almost 200 page book with highlights of everything I took since I started back into photography this year. Their software is really easy to use and the prices are quite reasonable. Printing and delivery is pretty quick too. I just sent my order in last night and I should have it before the end of Chanukah to give to a couple of relatives (we used to bore our relatives with slide shows - now we can give them photo books to either look at or pretend they did!).

-Ray

Back