Film It's all starting to go horribly wrong ...

pdh

Legend
... I really wish I hadn't bought This Damn Camera ... I have just looked up from the computer, only to find I have spent the whole evening obsessively researching 50mm lenses ... I've managed to go from "I'll see if I can find a Jupiter-8 for a tenner" to "hmm that 1956 Elmar f/3.5 that costs nearly as much as the camera cost seems like excellent value" ...

Paul,

About 17 years ago I sold my Leica M3, a 35mm f/3.5 Summaron, 50mm f/3.5 Elmar and 90mm f/4 Elmar to fund the purchase of a pair of 10x42 Swarovski binoculars, join the club. I've still got the binoculars, a couple of years ago they were serviced by Swarovski who just about rebuilt them so they look like new, all for nothing under the lifetime guarantee. However I'm not sure I did the wise thing, the kit would still be worth more than the binoculars, even though they look brand new :(

Barrie

Fill me in- What camera did you get, what lenses do you have, and what type of shooting do you want to do.

at last count, I had something over thirt-five 50mm lenses for Leica Mount. Several of them- made into Leica mount myself.

For a low-cost lens, a Collapsible Industar-50 is on par with the Elmar F3.5.

I have just looked up from the computer, only to find I have spent the whole evening obsessively researching 50mm lenses ... I've managed to go from "I'll see if I can find a Jupiter-8 for a tenner" to "hmm that 1956 Elmar f/3.5 that costs nearly as much as the camera cost seems like excellent value" ...

I can relate, as I did the exact same thing about a week and a half ago. Researched 50mm lenses extensively, and decided upon a collapsible 50mm 2.8 M Elmar (latest version) that I bought from an eBay seller for (what I think was) a pretty good price. Took it out for its first spin this morning. Hope to post some shots later.

Cheers,

Antonio

Don't buy---- Shoot!
Kristen, I do do! (shoot I mean ...)

grebeman said:
I'm not sure I did the wise thing, the kit would still be worth more than the binoculars,
yes but Barrie, would you have been able to see so many beautiful wonderful things with the M3 that you have with those Swaros?

Brian said:
Fill me in-

well, the camera's the Bessa R2a (you've already left me helpful comments in my thread "What to do with a Summicron") ... I have a 35mm Summicron (type 3, M-mount), and a CV Ultron 28/1.9 (LTM) ... I really got the Bessa for the Summicron (it's just not a good length on my E-P2), but a 50 would be a nice-to-have ... I shoot what's around me (Flickr stream in my sig if you want to have a look), and I prefer to take one camera with one lens with me when I'm out and about, and I make the decision on which by looking out of the window and deciding that the light's like and "how I'm seeing" and what my mood is ... all very scientific ... I'm expecting that I'll mostly be using black&white film in the Bessa (XP2@200, HP5, perhaps BW400CN), because I remain convinced that (even scanned) film has a tone I want ...in the foreseeable future it'll get developed+scanned commercially ...

a decent-looking Russian 50/3.5 like the Industar collapsible seems to go for about £40 (either from FSU or UK), while an nice Elmar is about £200 ...

I can relate, as I did the exact same thing about a week and a half ago. Researched 50mm lenses extensively, and decided upon a collapsible 50mm 2.8 M Elmar (latest version) that I bought from an eBay seller for (what I think was) a pretty good price

Stop stop this isn't helping ... I don't have any income at the moment!
Perhaps I could sell a kidney?
Oh no that's no good is it, I've got to go into hospital on thursday and have a damn great stone out of one of them ...

Industar-50, on the M8.

I could not tell the difference between the I-50 and my Post-War coated Elmar.

The Fast-Glass Russian lenses "often" need to be tweeked for a Leica, ie the shim adjusted. The I-50 is "usually" okay.

Looking at your pictures on Flickr: plenty of light, and you are not a Bokeh fanatic. An I-50 would be a good choice for the pictures that I saw. The I-50, and Elmar- might not collapse fully on a Bessa due to the construction of the shutter and light baffles. A Summicron 5cm F2 does not collapse as deeply, and was Okay. the i-50 and Elmar go in pretty deep.

There is also a Rigid version of the I-50.

Also- it is hard to find a "bad 50" once you stop down to F3.5~F4.

I would like to think that I am the only person to use a 50mm F3.5 Argus Cintar on a Leica M9.

"Some modifications required". This lens is from a for-parts Argus C3 that someone gave to me. Camera beyond repair, what a great lens.

I can relate, as I did the exact same thing about a week and a half ago. Researched 50mm lenses extensively, and decided upon a collapsible 50mm 2.8 M Elmar (latest version) that I bought from an eBay seller for (what I think was) a pretty good price. Took it out for its first spin this morning. Hope to post some shots later.

Cheers,

Antonio

This is the lens they will have to pry from my cold, dead fingers... I've had mine from new, when they first came out and it is welded to my M7. I have had many 50s over the years, and I rate it very highly. My other current favourites are my ZM Sonnar and at the other extreme, a 5cm nickel Elmar which does duty on my II

If you're looking for the voice of reason...you're (possibly intentionally) posting this in the wrong forum. These folks are gear addicts. Remember the Single-In challenge. One only needs one camera with one lens to capture an image. Now there's nothing wrong with collecting cameras and lenses if it's within your budget, but quite frankly it doesn't even relate to taking photos. Sure you may gravitate towards collecting gear that makes it easier to create the images you "see" or want to capture.....but the images are in your head.....you'll find a way to capture them regardless of what beautiful piece of vintage glass you use to help you accomplish the task.

Don't make me conjur up a new Single In challenge ;)

This is the lens they will have to pry from my cold, dead fingers... I've had mine from new, when they first came out and it is welded to my M7. I have had many 50s over the years, and I rate it very highly. My other current favourites are my ZM Sonnar and at the other extreme, a 5cm nickel Elmar which does duty on my II

It's pretty sweet, isn't it? From what I read, it's a well loved lens. From this morning:

6991750669_deb92af9f0_o.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

En la Calle Corchado by ramirezaponte, on Flickr

Leica M6 TTL, 50mm 2.8 M Elmar, Ilford XP2 Super.

More shots on the Fun with Film Cameras thread.

Cheers,

Antonio

Also- it is hard to find a "bad 50" once you stop down to F3.5~F4.

I would like to think that I am the only person to use a 50mm F3.5 Argus Cintar on a Leica M9.

"Some modifications required". This lens is from a for-parts Argus C3 that someone gave to me. Camera beyond repair, what a great lens.

I can't believe how good this looks. Fantastic lens.

Cheers,

Antonio

If you're looking for the voice of reason...you're (possibly intentionally) posting this in the wrong forum. These folks are gear addicts. Remember the Single-In challenge. One only needs one camera with one lens to capture an image. Now there's nothing wrong with collecting cameras and lenses if it's within your budget, but quite frankly it doesn't even relate to taking photos. Sure you may gravitate towards collecting gear that makes it easier to create the images you "see" or want to capture.....but the images are in your head.....you'll find a way to capture them regardless of what beautiful piece of vintage glass you use to help you accomplish the task.

Oh c'mon Luke, not everyone in this forum is a gear addict!!! That's insulting. ;)

Oh c'mon Luke, not everyone in this forum is a gear addict!!! That's insulting. ;)
:rofl:.....:crying:

You tell them brother! Hey hows the YashicaMat going ;) Once you got it, I think it's time for our next "Single In" challenge.....with film!!! :dance:

Industar-50, on the M8.
Looking at your pictures on Flickr: plenty of light, and you are not a Bokeh fanatic. An I-50 would be a good choice for the pictures that I saw. The I-50, and Elmar- might not collapse fully on a Bessa due to the construction of the shutter and light baffles. A Summicron 5cm F2 does not collapse as deeply, and was Okay. the i-50 and Elmar go in pretty deep.

That shot of the backlit leaves is a beauty Brian.
Thanks for taking the trouble to look through Flickr & make your suggestions.

I think the fever has passed for the moment, but we'll see ...

Back