Fuji 7 cities in 5 weeks with the X-T1

Kyle,

AWESOME looking trip - looks like an absolute blast! Can't wait to see the web-site - is she starting a bike touring business or just a website to help people with suggestions for that kind of travel?

A couple of things:

* Yes, some hills ARE too steep to ride, and that takes less grade on a Brompton than on most full-size bikes.
* I was a really good bike mechanic and I NEVER wanted to change a rear tire on a Brompton. Even in a shop, let alone by the side of a road. Good move to bail on the biking when the tire blew - it was a sign from the deity of your choice!
* 15 miles sound like a pretty good top end for a Brompton ride. I've rarely gone more than 10. But I've read of people who've toured Britain end to end (Lands End to John 'O Groats) on a three speed Brompton. You'd have to be crazy.
* Quite a rig you have for the little one on the Brompton - did everyone feel stable and comfortable like that?

* Finally, I'm glad you liked Seattle. It was home for quite a while and I miss it (even as I love where we are). We lived a few blocks from Pike Place Market for a couple of years and then up north of the Locks in Ballard for a few years too. I love that city. Bruce (BruPri) lives out there, I believe in Ballard also.

Great stuff. I just enjoyed a nice vicarious bike vacation with your family. I never managed that with my family because my wife and younger daughter has less than no interest, although I did a couple of short (3-4 day) tours with my older daughter when she was about 14-15 though. It's a great way to go.

-Ray

Kyle and Ray
Thanks for the great info on the folding bikes. There is a fella in our neighborhood that rides one up to our local lap pool.
They look just as you describe, great for hopping on for relatively short ride. I have watched the local craigslist and don't see them very often.

Looks like you had a great trip. Cool photos.

Kyle,

AWESOME looking trip - looks like an absolute blast! Can't wait to see the web-site - is she starting a bike touring business or just a website to help people with suggestions for that kind of travel?

A couple of things:

* Yes, some hills ARE too steep to ride, and that takes less grade on a Brompton than on most full-size bikes.
* I was a really good bike mechanic and I NEVER wanted to change a rear tire on a Brompton. Even in a shop, let alone by the side of a road. Good move to bail on the biking when the tire blew - it was a sign from the deity of your choice!
* 15 miles sound like a pretty good top end for a Brompton ride. I've rarely gone more than 10. But I've read of people who've toured Britain end to end (Lands End to John 'O Groats) on a three speed Brompton. You'd have to be crazy.
* Quite a rig you have for the little one on the Brompton - did everyone feel stable and comfortable like that?

* Finally, I'm glad you liked Seattle. It was home for quite a while and I miss it (even as I love where we are). We lived a few blocks from Pike Place Market for a couple of years and then up north of the Locks in Ballard for a few years too. I love that city. Bruce (BruPri) lives out there, I believe in Ballard also.

Great stuff. I just enjoyed a nice vicarious bike vacation with your family. I never managed that with my family because my wife and younger daughter has less than no interest, although I did a couple of short (3-4 day) tours with my older daughter when she was about 14-15 though. It's a great way to go.

-Ray

Thanks for the feedback. The kid seat is a really simple 2-piece bar that someone makes to fit Bromptons specifically, basically just a bent top tube with a screw clamp under your saddle to grab the seat tube, and a fork at the other end to place over the top tube right behind the steer tube. Then a saddle and two folding foot pegs... so when you fold the bike up, it will stow in the bag alongside the bike like it isn't there. Bromptons are already twitchy, short, and top-heavy, so adding 40 pounds of kid up top isn't really a deal-breaker. It's hard to explain, but having that weight so central means it really doesn't affect much. You need bars that pull back as much as possible to get your chin off her helmet, and I padded the handler bars where her knees touch them (sewn on elk hide), but man does the whole setup just WORK. Easy peasy. You can roll your kid AND all your luggage through an airport, train station, etc, fold it all down, and board. Well, if a security guard doesn't get power trippy and panic at the sight of wheels. 'Nother story...

Ballard was just incredible. I wanted to move there tomorrow. Fremont too, just great neighborhoods and just the right distance from what I found to be a sorta dry, dull, steeply hilled downtown. Somebody get me a biotech job in Seattle and I will move within the month.

Great set! I agree with you on Seattle its been a while since I was there but I absolutely loved it and hope to move there or close to there someday. It also helps that the Mariners are my favorite baseball team. On the difference between the xt1 and x100 with the smoothness and color shading, is that specifically the way the JPEGS come out?

Yes I think it is. I don't work with raws much, and I can't work with the X Trans raws at all. So I shoot almost everything jpg only. But the Bayer sensor in the X100 seems to render color gradations in a way that might be slightly (and I mean SLIGHT-ly) less detailed, but is substantially more pleasing to my eye. Pixel peeping both of those sensors at 100% doesn't net me some kind of amazing detail difference / advantage for the X Trans. They both look crisp at 100%.

I need to do some side by side shots I guess. For now it's just a feeling I get looking at a TON of files.

Back