Gone too soon....

The icons in the music industry while I was growing up are going one by one! At the top of my head, the biggest acts back then were Michael Jackson, Madonna, Whitney. I'm trying to remember more (maybe Cyndi Lauper or Boy George? But I don't think they're in the same league), but still.. that's 2 out of 3 gone!

never liked Madonna or Jacko .....and certainly not Boy Georgie

Icons - can we add Neil Young, REM and Santana - "proper artistes" with 3 different styles ......... long may they reign ..........although REM have "retired" ......... and Neil is a bit "tired" ...... not sure about Carlos

Boy George!?!? :)

I concur with the first three. I'd add U2 in there.

Hahaha! Sorry to veer this semi-off topic - but at least in that part of the world where I grew up Boy George was a huge hit for quite some time. :) I think it's because music video then was really something new and his videos (and certainly his overall persona) was certainly quite different. Plus, IMO he's one of those who sort of embodied the 80s (esp fashion wise).

I've avoided watching Whitney Houston videos as a sort of "tribute" or just to reminisce, especially since all her songs seem familiar enough (and that's understating it). I gave this video a go, and first thing I thought was I forgot how powerful her voice really was.

Damn. That Voice.

Now lost.

(On a side note, I think that acapella at the start of I Will Always Love You is one of the ballsiest song acts ever.)

I was actually quite sad when Michael Jackson passed away. And now Whitney as well. I'm not saying I'm a huge fan of these two but their songs did define my childhood during the 80s. It's an era we'll never see again and it seems we'll never see MJ and WH again either.

Back