Old style portraits

Iansky

All-Pro
My friend came today with a model who he is shooting a portfolio for - my wife styled her and did the hair & makeup - I managed to grab these 4 images.

I wanted them to appear sepia toned, soft yet in focus and with the old feel about them so used SFX to convert them - results below:

Jean.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Jean2.jpg

Jean3.jpg

Jean4.jpg

I think the border feature in SFX might be more usable if it created the border from the inside out (i.e. added an edge) rather than from the outside in where they do tend to crop quite heavily. It may not be within SFX's powers to increase the physical size of an image, but I wonder if you could reduce the amount of crop if you added a thin, blank border to the outside of the image first before opening it up in SFX.

I think the border feature in SFX might be more usable if it created the border from the inside out (i.e. added an edge) rather than from the outside in where they do tend to crop quite heavily. It may not be within SFX's powers to increase the physical size of an image, but I wonder if you could reduce the amount of crop if you added a thin, blank border to the outside of the image first before opening it up in SFX.

That would certainly be easy to do in Photoshop or even Photoshop Elements - from either of which you can open into SFX and create the border.

Thanks Guys for the feedback.

I looked at the borders before posting the images and considered re-doing them but then thought, actually they don't look that bad to me and I remember old family images cropped in really tight so again these mirrored some of the older style ones.

I may well redo them though with a different border - not being the principle photographer allows me the freedom to play with them as I see fit.

Thanks,

The X100 is a superb camera and the IQ is superb as well as being a great tactile machine to use.

I picked up my GX1 on Sat and managed to grab a couple of shots with the GX1+20mm lens that are also posted on this forum.

Considering the auto ISO on the GX1 defaulted to 800ISO with flash the images are good - not the same feel & look as those from the X100 but nice all the same - they are under the post "GX1 indoors with flash at 800ISO"

Back