Fujifilm X10 vs. Sony NEX 5n

henry lau

Hi, which one is better the sony nex5n or the fuji x10 in terms of indoor shots, night photos and color depth. which of these two will have the same quality shots to a dslr? very confuse. hope to have your soonest reply. by the way, I have a nikon d5000 but want to have a compact digital camera for my every day use. thank you

Hello Henry and welcome to the forum. Lots of users of Sony and Fuji here so I'm sure you'll get some info soon. In general terms the Nex has the much bigger sensor and interchangeable lenses.

Hi, which one is better the sony nex5n or the fuji x10 in terms of indoor shots, night photos and color depth. which of these two will have the same quality shots to a dslr? very confuse. hope to have your soonest reply. by the way, I have a nikon d5000 but want to have a compact digital camera for my every day use. thank you

Henry, for the parameters you mentioned, the 5N will have the same quality as your DSLR, and the Fuji will not. However, the Fuji is much more compact than a 5N using any of the current NEX lenses other than the 16mm f/2.8.

As others have said, the Nex will do better in low light with a fast enough lens. At the moment, the only really fast native lens for the Nex is the $1000 Zeiss 24mm f1.8, but good luck finding one. If you're just comparing the Nex 5n with its kit zoom lens (the 18-55 it generally sells with), I'd strongly recommend the Fuji X10 instead. And if small size matters to you. The 5n has a small body but both the kit zoom and the Zeiss 24mm are relatively large lenses. Only the 16mm is really in scale with the small body of the Nex, IMHO...

-Ray

Welcome to the forum Henry. NEX5n is pretty awesome in terms of pure image quality, and about as good as any DSLR out in the market now. Only issue like others have notes is the limited number of native lenses with fast apertures (Sony-Zeiss 24/1.8 and Sony 50/1.8). However, if you don't mind manually focusing, then you can use just about any lenses from any camera on the NEX with adapters.

X10 is awesome. I love my X10. But it's still just a point and shoot with a small sensor. Your D5000 with a good fast lens can provide better image quality, particularly in poor lighting situations than the X10.

If I had that Nikon and was happy with it, then for the needs described I would go for the Fuji. The 5N is a very good camera, but seems likely to overlap your Nikon, and while even with the larger Sony lenses it's compact, the Fuji is in a different size league.

I have a Sony 5N and if compactness is important but you are not fussed about autofocus then the 5N can be quite compact when paired with a Contax G rangefinder lens. I have the Carl Zeiss Planer 45/2 and not only is the lens quite small and compact but so too is the adaptor required to mount it.

Something else to consider is also the sensor size and the resulting DOF it gives. If you are shooting street then the increased DOF the X10 gives is mostly a plus IMO but if you value narrow DOF for portraiture etc then the bigger Sony sensor is the way to go. Also will you be content with a fixed zoom lens or do you generally use prime lenses? I don't really see either camera as being competitors because they fulfil quite different needs. You need to know which camera ticks the most boxes for you and choose accordingly..

Thanks a lot everybody! I think I'll go for Fuji x10, because I'll use this for day to day basis strolling with my family use it as a point and shoot. Then if for traveling I generally take my DLSR with me so invest on lense of my dlsr rather than buy another NEX 5n (dlsr like camera). (y)

Back