Ricoh Happy 5th Anniversary Ricoh GR Digital!

Amin

Hall of Famer
I saw on 1001 Noisy Cameras that Ricoh was throwing a party to celebrate the 5th anniversary of the Ricoh GR Digital and wanted to pay some respect here at Serious Compacts.

Picture 3.png

Photo credit: DigitalCamera.jp

For those who don't know, the Ricoh GR Digital is in its third iteration. I wrote a review of the GR Digital II for Serious Compacts and have been making occasional posts about the GR Digital III while always intending to write a proper review when I have time to do justice to this excellent camera.

The GRD III serves as a sort of yardstick for me as I evaluate other cameras. For example, someone recently asked me whether the S95 offered a better grip than the S90. What immediately went through my mind was, "It's no GRD, but then what is?" Likewise, I was writing about the new controls on the LX5, and thought "Improved from the LX3 but not up to the usability standard set by the dual dials on the GRD."

I hate to sound like a cheerleader but can't think of much that can be done with present-day technology to significantly improve upon the GRD III. It isn't a camera for everyone, or even most people, but the GRD III is an outstanding execution of the fixed-focal length, small sensor camera ideal.

Of course, Ricoh been innovative and influential with other camera lines as well (for example, GX100 can be considered a predecessor of the LX3 and S90), but that is a matter for another day and blog post. Today, I just wanted to offer a belated "Happy 5th birthday" and best wishes for many more years of GR Digital!

Back