Looking for a "Serious Fixed-Lens Compacts" site?

Otto

Regular
Does anyone know of a "Serious Fixed-Lens Compacts" website? While I like this site, I was hoping it was going to be for just that, small fixed-lens advanced compact cameras rather than "anything goes" type of site. There are plenty of those around already.

I'll continue to participate here, but would like to find someplace that specializes with the cameras of the XZ-1, LX-x, Sxx, GRxx, X10x, G9.10.11.12 etc. type of cameras. You know, fixed/zoom-lens, advanced/serious compacts.

Thanks,

Why narrow your vision SO much? There is a wealth of good information and a plethora of helpful and knowledgeable people here. I write as one who is a heavy film and prime lens user but one with an open and enquiring mind...

I like specialty sites. I'm not narrowing my vision to want to spend my time specializing. I don't care to wade through the various posts about things I have no interest in. As I said, I can do that here, or a myriad of other sites. I'm looking for a site that specializes in small fixed-lens advanced compacts, not another "anything goes" type of site. It's no different in my choice of automotive sites I frequent, and participate in. I don't want to read about foreign cars in a specialized American muscle car site anymore than I want to read about film, or interchangeable lens, cameras in an advanced compact camera site. I already know about those things, and they're not for me.

Thanks for you comment,

It's your choice. Not the way I approach life; I prefer to take in much and do my own filtering rather than have everything predigested for me. Good luck with your quest.

Good for you. I've already done my "filtering", and I've determined what I like, and what I don't. I'm not on any quest as I've already "been there, done that" with regards to photography over the last 45 years. Now I like small, fixed-lens advanced compacts at the moment. If you know of such a site, please provide a link to it.

Thanks again,

@Otto - IMO, the forums and subforums are fairly well identified so that one can go directly to the gear or the subject of choice. I think the site could definitely use some improvements in providing a direct shortcut such as the latest threads that I've been on, much like it's already been implemented at MU-43.

More importantly though, all the cameras that you identified (with the exception of the Canon G series) are cameras that get a lot of attention in SeriousCompacts, even if SeriousCompacts also encompasses interchangeable lens cameras.

One of reasons I like this site is because it covers a wide range of topics and gears. Most people here own cameras from different brands. So there's a greater opportunity to share information, and definitely less of the fan-boyism that is so prevalent in brand specific forums and in DPReview.

If there are topics that you can't find any discussions on, please let everyone know. I'm sure we can generate discussions on just about anything. I'm always good for a good discussion or two about gear! :)

Otto, I've split off your question to create a new thread in the Open Gear forum. This way, people will see your question much more easily, rather than having it lost with in the Site Information forum about this particular site.

I'm sorry that you don't find the fixed lens forums offer you enough, though I understand your interests. If you do find a site that you like that is strictly geared towards Serious Fixed-Lens Compacts, please let us know.:th_salute: In the meantime, I hope you'll check in here when you can.

When I'm looking for more specific posting I go via the sub forums, so I can see only NEX or only Fuji or whatever system I'm interested in.

Good luck finding the site that suits you.

Hi Otto,

as an old fart at 64 I've some time to surf in the web but such a forum I didn't find until now. The big player in camera manufacturing don't take such models as serious as their bigger cams. Ricoh is the big exception with it's GRD/GXR line up. But the other point and shoot models and their proud users may dilute the 'serious' approach of a minority of members. This is fine for me, because I like the often different style of shooting and philosophy of still pictures.

A diamond is firing the light with it's huge quantity of edges and planes, otherwise it would be a dark piece of carbon........

Cheers
Bernd

Does anyone know of a "Serious Fixed-Lens Compacts" website? While I like this site, I was hoping it was going to be for just that, small fixed-lens advanced compact cameras rather than "anything goes" type of site. There are plenty of those around already.

I'll continue to participate here, but would like to find someplace that specializes with the cameras of the XZ-1, LX-x, Sxx, GRxx, X10x, G9.10.11.12 etc. type of cameras. You know, fixed/zoom-lens, advanced/serious compacts.

Thanks,

Well I am certainly not one to shy folks away from this site - it has just the right mix of technical talk and actual image making - to keep me satisfied. And I say this as purely a m4/3 shooter who splits my time between here and our sister "mu43.com" site. But the split is about 80/20 in SC's favour.

Having looked at the line-up of cameras in our up-and-coming Single in January challenge, I'm seeing a predominance of the "small fixed-lens advanced compact cameras" you refer to, with a healthy peppering of others thrown in the mix. Having said that, each one in it's way can be counted as a serious compact from a form factor perspective...the raison d'etre of this site. OK some might have interchangeable lenses, but these deviations within the serious compacts terms of reference is reflective of the diversity of the folks that are drawn to cameras that don't yell "Look, here, look at me and the brand emblazoned around my neck and the size of the trinket at the end of my chain, I'm like a REAL photographer, OK!" What I most like about folks here is that they are serious compacts just like their gear! (y)

Maybe the best place for you is specific brand forums within DPR? I tried it for a while, but the spirit of the place is sorely lacking IMHO. Lots of know-it-alls and measurebators. I've yet to find a site with as collegiate an attitude as SC. But maybe give it a go, you might find folks more of your kin. However, if you find the same as I....well we'll all be back here waiting for you mate. :grouphug:

Thanks,

Otto, I'm not aware of such a site. If I'm not mistaken, our Flickr group remains more focused on small sensor, fixed lens cameras, although not exclusively so.

There are quite a few people who seem to be looking for the same thing you're looking for. When I first started this site, or more accurately when I and BB brought it back as a forum-based site, I got a number of requests to keep the sites focus on small sensor, fixed lens cameras. It would seem that there is a good opportunity for someone to come along and make such a website.

We have a Flickr group?? I better go look for it!

Otto, I'm not aware of such a site. If I'm not mistaken, our Flickr group remains more focused on small sensor, fixed lens cameras, although not exclusively so.

There are quite a few people who seem to be looking for the same thing you're looking for. When I first started this site, or more accurately when I and BB brought it back as a forum-based site, I got a number of requests to keep the sites focus on small sensor, fixed lens cameras. It would seem that there is a good opportunity for someone to come along and make such a website.

Whoops! I didn't realise this Flickr group was dedicated to small sensor fixed lens compacts, I've been putting images from all manner of my compacts into that folder. :blush:

I was hoping it was going to be for just that, small fixed-lens advanced compact cameras rather than "anything goes" type of site. There are plenty of those around already.

There are plenty of anything goes sites -- I don't consider this an "anything goes" site as it is very focused on the advanced small camera genre. Are there any other sites devoted to advanced compact cameras, other than brand-specific sites or Leica with everyone-else as an afterthought? I don't know that there are, but I'm also not looking for them.

Certainly I'm not trying to argue with your preference as you are entitled to an opinion.

But to those that founded and run this site, I'm glad it has a broader scope than what Otto envisions because I have benefited from the experiences shared by users of fixed and interchangeable lens small cameras.

Had the site only a narrow field of view I wouldn't learn about the Ricoh GRD, or the Ricoh GXR, depending on which side of the line a site faced. Seeing the experiences of both sets of users here helped me become comfortable to take a leap of faith to become one of the few in Canada to own a Ricoh GXR (which ironically can be configured to be an advanced fixed lens camera if you prefer).

Furthermore I'm also glad there are many threads that aren't equipment focused because in the end photography is more about what's between our ears than what is in our hands. We should have more of those.

Back