50mm selfie

Good innit?

Fuji seem to have mastered the knack of producing lenses in the sweet spot of quality, price and performance. The 23-35-50 trio are excellent by any standard but they are exceptional for the money. That 50 is pin-sharp and handles so sweetly.
It's clearly in good hands ;)

I very tempted by the 23mm to round out the trio. But I'm not sure how I would get along with with that focal length. Fuji definitely has their lens game perfected.

The 23mm is a nice lens. For walking around, the FL works well for sorta-wide landscapes, and also has a decently close focus ability. If one likes visiting waterfalls, I find the 23mm is not quite wide enough. The XF 18mm worked well for that, but I was always concerned about the spray from waterfalls affecting the lens. I have considered the 50mm, but I'm still keeping fingers and toes crossed for an 18mm f2 WR.

I have the 16mm now. I've always preferred 24mm vs 35mm. The weather sealing is a must for me, like you prefer it. And the Fuji 16mm is one of my favorite lenses from any system. But, an 18mm WR would be very interesting. The 23mm is interesting to me because of the size/weight with weather sealing. Not sure if I will ever give it a try.

I agree with all of the above. My "normal" way of seeing the world is 50mm (35mm APS-C) and I have always found 35mm (23mm) a bit uninspiring, a bit meh. It's too wide for my normal tastes whilst at the same time it isn't wide enough for when I want to cram stuff in.

My answer in Fuji X terms is the 14mm. It is light, relatively compact but truly wide. I confess I crave the 16mm for the speed, but at heart I know the weight would mean it wouldn't be in the bag when I need it as often as the relatively svelte 14.

It's a funny old world, innit? There really are no right or wrong answers in the Fuji lens lineup, just choices and options.

I agree with all of the above. My "normal" way of seeing the world is 50mm (35mm APS-C) and I have always found 35mm (23mm) a bit uninspiring, a bit meh. It's too wide for my normal tastes whilst at the same time it isn't wide enough for when I want to cram stuff in.

My answer in Fuji X terms is the 14mm. It is light, relatively compact but truly wide. I confess I crave the 16mm for the speed, but at heart I know the weight would mean it wouldn't be in the bag when I need it as often as the relatively svelte 14.

It's a funny old world, innit? There really are no right or wrong answers in the Fuji lens lineup, just choices and options.

That is a perfect assessment. One of the best things about the Fuji system is that there is lens for every taste and budget. With all of them being capable of amazing photographs.

Kyle, the 50mm is turning out to be a great all purpose lens. I find myself using it paired with either the 16mm or 35mm f2 for daily kit. Occasionally all 3 in a Tenba DNA 8 bag.

Back