50mm on cropped sensor for street?

Discussion in 'Other Brands' started by blb, Sep 13, 2011.

1. blb

blb Guest

Do you find the 50mm on your cropped sensor camera to be useful for street/urban landscape use or is it too long?
  2. BruPri

BruPri Top Veteran

May 11, 2011
    Seattle, Washington USA
    Bruce J. Pritchard
    I use my Nikkor 55mm 1.2 on my NEX 3 and it's the perfect length for me.
  3. I would also say it was a good length as it means you will not be in peoples faces and can be stealthy!!
  4. andy_g

andy_g Rookie

Oct 16, 2011
    Roma, Italy
    It's good for street with a reflex as far as street with a reflex is a good option ;)
    Actually, I tend to stay a step back when I use a reflex, so a 50 mm on APS-C is perfect for me.
  5. BillN

BillN Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 25, 2010
    S W France
    what crop factor are you taking about - IMHO the bigger the factor the less useful a 50mm will be for what you have in mind, (street/urban landscape)

also AF versus MF is important - presumably you are considering a MF lens
  6. pictor

pictor All-Pro

Jul 14, 2010
    What is the focal length above which street becomes paparazzi?
  7. BillN

BillN Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 25, 2010
    S W France
    my 55mm f1.2 is a bit big and heavy for street and I can never focus mine quickly at f1.2 (or even slowly most of the time)
    also f1.2 has a very very very shallow DOF ..........

how do you use yours?

here's mine on my G1 ........ which with a crop factor of x 2 - I find difficult to use for "street" or whatever that is perceived to be

8. Julien

Julien Top Veteran

Jan 6, 2012
    Paris, France
    On aps-c for street photography the popular choices seem to be 35mm or 50mm. On 4/3 I'd say the 20, 25 and 45 all make sense depending on your shooting style.
  9. I have a 45mm Rokkor that seems to be a nice range. It is small enough to be discrete, while a descent enough range for most shots.

While I prefer the range that my 28-70mm gives me it is a bigger longer and much more noticeable. Hard to pull of a discrete shot with that lens.