Fuji 50-230 II O.I.S. or not?

Just received my brand new 50-230 and I'm questioning whether or not OIS is even working. I have the menu set to #2 Shooting Only, but the image in the EVF is always wiggling when shooting off hand. With my Olympus bodies the image always near freezes with half push on shutter button.
The images I'm getting at 230 / f8 / 1/250 are a bit blurry off hand, but are very clear when using a more solid rest.
Any other test I can make to verify OIS is working properly?

I don't have mine on me to check my settings, but it should be pretty solid looking handheld, even all the way out at 230. When you start to pan quickly, you should see a slight lag as it corrects for your initial tiny bit of movement.

Quick pic of our cat...
FUJI0399.JPG

50-230 II; 217mm; SS 1/250; F8; ISO 1600 Velvia SOOC

Good to hear. I think I maybe played around with other OIS settings for that lens for a hot second, and quickly settled on this. I've had no re4ason to revisit that decision since...

My X-T20 arrived today. I promptly mounted the 50-230 and took a few images of our cat at close to MFD. I set the aspect ratio at 1:1, ISO at 3200, Av at f5.5, FL 95mm. Here she is hand held at 1/9s.

DSCF1048.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I have the 18-130mm I get sharp photos at all focal lengths now. Took me a while to get used to the lens. First shots were terrible. Very happy now. Hoping to pick up a used 50-230 some time for the longer reach.

With my vintage Konica lenses 200mm and 135mm I crank up the ISO and aim for at least 3 x focal length on the 200 (hand held) and 2 x on the 135. Works OK get some cracking shots on both. My old Nikon 75-300mm zoom is a bit of a handful and requires a fair amount of luck hand held.

I think it'll all come together for you folks with a bit of time and experimentation. Good luck.

Back