Fuji X10 ovf

Hi, Herman - good morning! I've moved your thread in here where all the X10 talk is going on. You must have missed the answer to this question over on this thread in which Andy responded:
There is no info at all but it does zoom in and out with the zoom. It is also very clear and quite a large view.

Here are Steve Huff's remarks about the OVF and how he uses it:
The only negative of the X10 may be its viewfinder, which is just a plain old optical finder. It has no info in the VF so you will not be able to see your settings, your exposure, or even get accurate framing. The VF covers 85% of the frame and it is stuck at the 4/3 format. Shoot in any other format and you really can’t use the viewfinder. With that said, I did use it for about half of the shots in this review. I had the X10 set on the center focus point only so I knew where the AF would fire. I am a focus and recompose kind of guy instead of trusting a camera to choose where I want it to focus. So you can use the VF, and I did, so I am glad Fuji included one. I suspect if they put in the awesome hybrid EVF/OVF of the X100 then it would have been an extra $200.
For his full review you can find it here: The Fuji X10...A look at the Baby Brother of the X100.

Hope this helps, Herman!

To my eyes, the OVF also doesn't show whether or not the image is in focus or not. Everything is always in focus when seen through OVF. You are not seeing through the lens. So you really have to trust that the AF got it right. The OVF does zoom in and out though, which is nice. And it's fairly clear and bright. The OVF is one of those "better than nothing" things, IMO.

Herman - the OVF is very simple - no information, no focus point, just a very bright 85% view of what you are photographing. To be honest, I thought this would be a problem for me but I've found, at least so far, it hasn't been as big an issue as I thought it would be. The focus lock indicator is fairly viewable to the right the finder.
I'm a left eye shooter and I've found not unlike using my now sold E-P1 with the 17mm and external finder, that I can see the LCD screen and focus area fairly well if I look down. 'Not sure how well this will work in very bright sun light, I haven't tried it yet.
As previously mentioned on this forum, and very hard to believe that I've tried it, but the face detector works very well adding to a bit a focus security when shooting people. If the camera doesn't detect a face, the focus defaults to the normal focus area indicator in the LCD. 'Hope this helps.
. . . David

So I guess the images in the product description in this Amazon UK page is totally misleading (they seem to be from X100).
Yes, the implication that what they're showing you is the OVF is DEAD WRONG in that advert! That's a good representation of the view you get through the LCD. The OVF shows you NOTHING but most of the view - absolutely no information at all. I'm not a big viewfinder user, so I'm perfectly happy with it. When I really want it, I'm glad to have it and its far better than most OVFs in this type of camera. But when I really want to shoot with a viewfinder, I take the X100, because you can LIVE in the OVF on that camera - its got every bit of information you'd ever want...

-Ray

When using the OVF at the telephoto end, you need to frame down. In other words, the 15% that is not covered by the OVF is mostly on the bottom of the OVF. If you are using single centerpoint AF, the point is not in the middle of the OVF. It's a little bit lower.

Back