Fuji Who would like "keystone compensation" added to Fuji X?

I think in my entire life I have only done keystone correction less than half a dozen times. I would far rather decide when to do it than have a programmer in Osaka decide for me. In general I am wary of anything that takes control away from me and puts it in the hands of the machine. Keystoning is a natural consequence of perspective and I'd rather not have my world view tweaked outside of my control.

I think in my entire life I have only done keystone correction less than half a dozen times. I would far rather decide when to do it than have a programmer in Osaka decide for me. In general I am wary of anything that takes control away from me and puts it in the hands of the machine. Keystoning is a natural consequence of perspective and I'd rather not have my world view tweaked outside of my control.
Guess you don't understand how Olympus does it. YOU have control over the level of KC is applied BEFORE shooting! NOT some "programmer in Osaka".

I don’t recall ever needing it.
Perfect example.....image taken yesterday in Yosemite. Notice how the trees are leaning inward? Keystone comp could adjust prior to image being taken. Very handy feature!
And please, peanut gallery, no silly response like "you should stand taller", or "shoot from a different angle", etc.
DSCF0487.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I think the big thing to remember here is that it is a nice to have, but not necessary as it can be done in post.

I'll never understand why some are so opposed to a post processing workflow, but that is just my problem and I'll leave it at that...something for me to come to grips with later. :hmmm:

I can see both sides, and the wanting straight lines for some things makes sense and is dependent on the shoot and desired final outcome. I can also see the desire to leave the perspective as it is seen from the angle the camera is pointing. If I'm in a Sequoia forest looking up at the trees, I may want to remember the image as I saw it from my low angle, leaving the "lean" in there and not straightening.

It is all a subjective choice, and a very personal one. I've done both...but tend to lean more toward doing minimal in camera processing, for once it is baked into the JPG or RAW file, it would be much harder to undo...where as I can leave the image as unfettered as possible and then work on it in many different iterations as possible later.

Things like keystone correction are nice, but I'd much rather have Fuji spend the money of that R&D on getting better products out the door initially and not rely so much on their "kaizen" approach of "fixing" incomplete products later on down the road after you've bought it. A lot of what is Kaizen later are things that should never leave the factory...but that is another one of my Fuji pet peeves and I'll not get into that debate here either, as that tends to derail very good threads. I'll just walk over --> and :hiding: and :hide: and :dash2:.

I must not be a very sophisticated photographer . . . or else I don't pay attention to user manuals. I've had 2 E-M5s and an E-M1, and I don't ever recall hearing about keystone correction. I must admit I have often been guilty of charging the battery, mounting a lens, shoving in a memory card, and figuring out the camera on the fly.

I must not be a very sophisticated photographer . . . or else I don't pay attention to user manuals. I've had 2 E-M5s and an E-M1, and I don't ever recall hearing about keystone correction. I must admit I have often been guilty of charging the battery, mounting a lens, shoving in a memory card, and figuring out the camera on the fly.
Even my E-M10 II had KC, and proved it's worth shooting Giant Sequoias and Redwoods.

Guess you don't understand how Olympus does it. YOU have control over the level of KC is applied BEFORE shooting! NOT some "programmer in Osaka".
If it's applied before shooting, three things are certain:

a) A programmer in Osaka is indeed responsible for changing how I capture the world
b) It would be fiddly to undo in post
c) It will do it's thing when I don't want it to, but have forgotten to switch it off

If you really, really, really want it, why not have it as part of the raw post- processing capability, built in-camera?

On a purely personal, pragmatic note, this is "correction" of an optical fact of life. It is therefore a step too far for me in anything other thsn the most exceptional circumstances, and why asking for it doesn't float my boat.

If you really, really, really want it, why not have it as part of the raw post- processing capability, built in-camera?

On a purely personal, pragmatic note, this is "correction" of an optical fact of life. It is therefore a step too far for me in anything other thsn the most exceptional circumstances, and why asking for it doesn't float my boat.[/QUOTE]

Now it's obvious you don't know about the KC feature in some Olympus Mu-43 bodies. You can also apply KC in varying degrees to RAW post-processing in camera!
I recall asking in my OP who wanted Fuji to provide KC; not who didn't, or why.
NRN.

Last edited:
I don't think it is a crime to be unaware of an Olympus feature set. You will have to forgive me; the last time I used an Olympus DSLR it was a few years ago and it was an E-420.

Actually, the last time I used an Olympus SLR of any sort it was an OM4-ti champagne.

Neither had the feature you seek.

And I didn't miss it.

To each their own.

Back