Critique Wanted Am I a masochist to keep using this lens?

grebeman

Old Codgers Group
Having been given a Kern Paillard Yvar 150mm, f/4 C mount lens a few weeks ago, along with 10mm, 20mm and 40mm extension tubes I just can't help myself in using it. The focusing range with the extension tubes fitted is very limited, focusing is best achieved by moving the camera, either when hand held or using a focusing rack when tripod mounted, with bigger adjustments requiring the repositioning of the tripod, so all rather time consuming and fiddly. Accurate focus really requires the use of the zoomed in focusing facility, so no grab shots with this set up.
It's the quality of the results allied with the longer working distance (useful for insects but offset by the time required to set up) that keeps making me take it out.
Here are a few from this morning for you to judge image quality, feedback appreciated. The camera used for all the shots was a Panansonic G1, no shots have been cropped. All shots tripod mounted except the last, which was hand held.

10309421.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This was either 10mm or 20mm extension

1030951.jpg

50mm of extension

1030957.jpg

60mm of extension

1030958.jpg

20mm of extension

1030969.jpg

70mm of extension

1030973.jpg

20mm of extension

Barrie

There's a slightly odd dreamy quality to these images (I don't mean that they are unsharp or contrastless or shaky) that makes them very appealing ... someone else might talk about a "creamy bokeh" but I hate the damn word ... I like them a lot, and if you can stand carrying on using the lens, I can stand carrying on looking at the results

Barrie, the images look superb. No question right?
So it takes work to get the images. Moving the camera, the tripod, setting up etc... That all takes time.
Barrie, what would you rather be doing with that time?
I'm just curious.....

Excellent thoughts there Don. BB knows a little about things that have been troubling me recently, lets say that after my two walks out yesterday, both with this lens I had the best nights sleep I've had in weeks. Equally other issues are swept from my concious and un-concious mind when I'm out there fiddling with all those variables. I don't have trains to catch and few pressures on my time, so yes, you're right Don, can't think what else I'd be doing, oh and the image quality is pretty good, perhaps something to do with lenses that were designed to correct aberrations and whatever on the drawing board, rather than in software, given that worth the effort and to hang with those that get away because I'm fiddling, what's a hobby if it's not for fiddling about. Thanks Don

Barrie

Barrie, beautifully put. Don knew how to ask the right question and you've got your answer. For those who've experienced this kind of time insensitive emersion in something we love, there's nothing like the freedom it brings. The few times I have been scuba diving, I felt this way... Now I can feel this way when I'm in my element photographing and even in post processing. It sounds to me as though you've come out the other side, Barrie. Your patience is clear through these definitely worth the time images. (Even if some are of spiders! ;) )

Barrie, what are friends for but to show us the light....and how to spend money of course.

Part of the trick is knowing who and where your friends are, this forum and our cousins across the corridor fit that bill. Don I was given this lens, so a case of no money changing hands, don't you just like it when that happens.

(Even if some are of spiders! ;) )

Sorry BB, I forgot the health warning on this thread :redface:

You know this is the sort of masochism I could get to enjoy :) This is one of a series from this afternoon, 60mm extension tubes in use, no cropping.

10309891.jpg

Barrie

Barrie, it's nice your back. You pay close attention to things most of us pass by. Your images bring forth a vision of detail I enjoy but don't see in that detail in my vision.
So.... Now the the luvie dovie crapola is out of the way....
Could you post combinations of the lens with the tubes? We are all curious to see that. All the combinations, Barrie. All the mathematical combinations.
Don

I'd love to see the set up too. I'm looking into macro lenses at the moment so I can take pictures of the hairs on a flea and all that. My ideal plan is that the distance from the subject comes down to something like a foot so I can roll about on the ground taking pictures of flowers and worms instead of setting up the 210mm lense and shooting the same sort of picture but from 10 paces.

Mud required.

Barrie, it's nice your back. You pay close attention to things most of us pass by. Your images bring forth a vision of detail I enjoy but don't see in that detail in my vision.
So.... Now the the luvie dovie crapola is out of the way....
Could you post combinations of the lens with the tubes? We are all curious to see that. All the combinations, Barrie. All the mathematical combinations.
Don

Duly done and covered in this thread Don, does that earn me a biscuit with my cup of tea?

https://www.photographerslounge.org...taining-close-ups-using-extension-tubes-4391/

Barrie

Hey guys, my grandson thinks youse make great photos and my stuff is boring.
He wants youse to teach me to make cool pics of bugs..
and Mud.....

No joke...100% serious!

Now there's no excuse Don, lets see some of your creepie crawlies, and I'll go out and do some street stuff, oh what have I said :rolleyes:, got to find a street first, non round here :), what do they look like?

Barrie

Barrie, the butterfly and flower pictures are superb! Not that I don't like the spider shots, just can't look at them too long for fear of nightmares :) You know how much I love a macro shot. There's also a lovely warmth to these photos and so I think your perseverance is justly rewarded. Don't stop!

Back