Canon Canon Powershot S100 Announced

Amin

Hall of Famer
S100_1_L.jpg

The Canon Powershot S90 was a very good seller, and Canon changed very little with the introduction of its successor, the S95. With the new S100, Canon was bolder, making significant changes to both the lens and sensor.

S100 differences from the S95:

• Canon-developed 12MP 1/1.7" CMOS sensor, which Canon says delivers lower noise and higher dynamic range than the 10MP 1/1.7" Sony CCD sensor from the S95
  • New 24-120mm (equivalent) f/2.0-5.9 lens; S95 lens is 28-105mm (equivalent) f/2.0-4.9
  • Full HD (1080p24) video with optical zoom available during video
  • DIGIC 5 image processing engine
  • Built-in GPS
  • New design with small grip added
  • Built-in neutral density filter
The biggest question is how Canon's new sensor will perform. A single sample image can be found here: Canon USA

I may return to Canon for this one - assuming the test data is satisfactory. My S90 is my only true "pocket" camera, and a combination of wider angle plus longer reach sounds like a winner!

I really like the S95

Approximately - (numbers of shots that I have in my LR catalogue - obviously I've deleted some and kept a lot of what you experts will regard as non- keepers - and there are duplicates when I have pp images)

The following are shots taken, (ratios) and kept on LR with each of my cams

I've taken as many shots with my S95 over the past 11 months as I have with my M8

and 40% more shots with my G1 than with the S95
and logically 40% more shots with my G1 than with my M8

EP-1 - taken only 20% of the number of shots I took with my G1

I wont mention my D300 - but I need to get out more with it

therefore Ratios
S95 = 10 shots
M8 = 10 shots
G1 = 14 shots
EP-1 = 2.8 shots
D300 = not many

not sure what that means - but it's interesting

I used my EP1 a lot more before I bought the S95 and EP1 shots and G1 shots were running 1 to 1 before I bought the S95

I still like a viewfinder, (I'm old) and a swivel screen, (I still use my Powershot 640)

Leica will always entice me

so is the X10 the next purchase for me or another piece of Leica glass

I'll drink to that!!

with the price of wine in the US - it is no wonder that you are always running a deficit

I'm doing my French and UK Tax Returns - no wonder I have numbers running through my head

The UK fiscal year ends in April and the French in December - so it can get tough

yessir but don't even think about single malt..... youse back in the old country get the deals on that....

I prefer the Irish stuff, Black Bush, at the affordable end

(Don - these girls are thrashing us men in the Challenge - needs a Mod to "tinker" with the votes??? - or maybe they are!!!!)

Maybe the next purchase will be another good bottle of wine, while you mull things over?:D

I thought that "my stats" would allow the more "educated" over the "pond dwellers" to partake in a little photographic fortune telling - maybe it too early in the day for some of "youse" - (to quote my "dad")

I prefer the Irish stuff, Black Bush, at the affordable end

(Don - these girls are thrashing us men in the Challenge - needs a Mod to "tinker" with the votes??? - or maybe they are!!!!)

Bill, me thinks it's that BB woman. Her and the other gals I think are tampering with the vote.

Bill, me thinks it's that BB woman. Her and the other gals I think are tampering with the vote.

That would make sense - as if you add the percentages up they come to 161.11% in total - when I went to school, albeit a long time ago, the percentages should add always up to 100% - but I never went to school in the US and I've heard funny things happen over there
That's what happens when "ladies" start doing "maths"

No wonder Pete's cleared off to Hawaii

I like the look and specs, always liked my S90 but found it too slippery and small.

I think the grip looks much better on the S100 :)

Won't be getting one soon tho, just bought the Nikon S9100

I already owned the canon s100 in 2001 :)

Pretty excited about this one, my S90 is my favorite camera of all time. Dpreview has a detailed pre-review on the new S100. I can't wait...

I'd like to consider the S100, looking forward to seeing some shots from it. But, again, its got no viewfinder and I am increasingly finding one necessary. I had begun to use the tunnel VF in the G11 before I sold it. I think the X10 will likely be my next, even though it clearly wont be as pocketable as this one.

Back