Sigma The DP2X?

Penny

Veteran
No 1..... Is the DP2X the latest camera in the DP series; I ask because there seems to be very big difference in prices in the UK.

No 2.......Amazon are asking over £600 whereas Clifton cameras are asking £429.00 including 20%vat (not quite sure why that has been put on the ad) There is also another firm which is under the £400 price.
a further strange thing is that Amazon actually show the Clifton website as one of the lowest prices available.
1 is the main question anyone.

Yes DP2x is the latest of DP2 line. It can get quite confusing...not only for buyers but sellers too. Just be sure that Cliftons is selling the DP2X and not the DP2 or DP2s. Also that it isn't the DP1x (or DP1, DP1s). By the way the differences, other than a shift in UI for the DP1x and DP2, are relatively small - or than the 28mm DP1 vs 41mm DP2 of course. So I'd recommend looking for a used DP2s if your keen....as you'll save a fair bit of cash. They are selling cheap (sold mine a few months ago eventually for FAR less than I paid), as folks either love them, or not, pretty early on.

A very distinctive camera this Sigma....but one that must be given A LOT of time and effort to allow to grow on you and to learn. I guarantee your first few sessions will be frustrating, and I also guarantee your jaw will drop once you've processed those first RAWs in SPP.

I agree with stillshunter. I owned a DP1 for quite a while but it was doggedly slow and altogether a very awkward customer! However, the images are outstanding. One of the problems I had was that the SPP wouldn't work properly on my Mac and I just got completely fed up with it and sold it for about £100! For that price I wish I'd kept it now :(

Great to hear it weren't just me! :blush: Penny, to extend in this vein please be ready for a bumpy ride. You will no doubt have visited Carl Rytterfalk to see what the DP series can do and it does do insanely marvellous things from an IQ perspective. But as christilou said, if you and it don't click - and so you decide to sell - then you will be at a significant loss. So, again, just recommend capitalising on someone else's 'mistake' and buy second-hand. The beauty is that if you strike that special bond then there's every chance of trading up cheap - as a used DP2x will inevitably hit the market when you're ready.....and there's then the DP1x to complement your new found love.

I wish you all the best and hope you do click with the DPs. Either way please keep us updated on your journey and regale us with your images. This will make folks likes christilou and I regret our sales even more!

P.S., I cannot recommend getting an OVF enough if you choose to pursue the DP. It makes the camera....and distracts from the lack-lustre LCD :blush:

If I could pick up a DP1/DP2 for £100 I'd jump on it ... even though I am Mr-I-Only-Want-Or-Need-One-Camera-At-A-Time ... the images have an extra-ordinary quality ... sadly they only ever seem to be going for £250+++

Thanks guys and girls for the info: I'm just mulling this over..its the fantastic pictures that draw me but I don't need this camera as the NEX 5 for me is great, but the idea of a compact with the large sensor is very appealing and other than the X100 which is a bit dear for me I shall carry on 'mulling'.

Here's a quick comparison chart between the models:

Sigma DP2x vs DP2s vs DP2 - What's New?

Since the DP2/s/x all have the True II processor I think speed is similar between all 3 versions. DP2s improved auto-focus, and DP2x added AFE for better color accuracy.

I just bought a lightly used DP1x to compare to my GF1. There is something I like about the colors from the Foveon sensor. I also like the 3:2 aspect ratio. Since I have a the great Olympus m. 9-18mm for my GF1, I'm not sure it makes sense for me to keep the Sigma but I just had to try it out. The speed is certainly not on par with my GF1, but it's not horrible. Actually for multi-shot or bracketing, the DP1x is faster.

Used DP prices aren't too bad if you can hold out for a good deal to become available. You won't lose your shirt if you resell also.

Back