Leica Leica 35mm f2.8 Summaron - Sony A7II, Techart Pro AF adapter

M. Valdemar

Top Veteran
I finally got a Sony A7II and a Techart Pro AF adapter. I tried it with various M mount lenses and got very good results.

There were a few technical quirks which took me a little while to figure out. There is an Android phone app for advanced settings on the adapter which I also tried. Once I learned to use it properly, I was very pleased.

This is the result of going on a walk to "Katz's Delicatessen" in NYC for pastrami sandwiches yesterday. I used a Leica f2.8 35mm Summaron, which was a very light and fast focussing combination. It is a liberating experience to use these manual focus M lenses with a modern AF camera.

The adapter cost me $259 on Amazon. It is well-made and works as advertised in most situations. I have yet to try it with a large number of lenses but it worked well with 50mm Summicrons, a 50mm Summilux, and a 35mm F1.8 LTM Nikkor (with M adapter attached, of course).

katx2.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

katz1.jpg

katz3.jpg

katz4.jpg

They do not whole heartedly recommend the use of floating element lenses.

You can still switch off the motor and focus manually, then tweak focus by turning on the adapter, which sort of defeats the whole purpose of the adapter. It just turns the matter of focus into a complex operation, which in my opinion is not acceptable. Better to just focus manually with those lenses.

Back