Leica Multi-part review of the CL in Scotland's inclement winter

carlb

All-Pro
Shees - do I want to get one of these. Especially after reading these:

Leica CL in Scotland 2018 – Part 1 – Tobinators
Leica CL in Scotland 2018 – Part 2 – Tobinators
Leica CL in Scotland 2018 – Part 3 – Tobinators
Leica CL in Scotland 2018 – Part 4 – Tobinators

Been jonesing about one as a kit with the 18mm. But I have the 18-55mm and the 11-23mm, so perhaps eschew the extra lens and extra $1k, and just go for the camera.

Or, wait a while longer for the 18mm kit version at the higher price ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Carl - thanks for posting the CL review. I did trip on it elsewhere prior to your posting but I think it remains a good resource for anyone considering the CL and also for all of us exploring the CL's abilities and uniquenesses. I did "enjoy" the shot of the snow piled up inside the lens hood. ;-)
For what I shoot the CL has been exceptional. Recent weather in northern Vermont has limited my ability to get out as much as I had hoped to with the new camera. We will be traveling the end of February through early April and the CL will most certainly get used a lot more then than now. So my thoughts on the camera will expand once I've had more time to make some images with it. For now I'd say the CL is a winner with M-mount lenses as well as T-mount and it definitely delivers the infamous "Leica look".
. . . David

Hmm, I'm already in a dilemma between the M10 and the Sony A7RII..... :(

What do you think in general about Sony vs. Leica for how and what your shoot? What about their lenses? That should help guide your decision.

Note: the M10 will work better with M lenses than the Sony will. The CL also works great, but mostly because the "sides" are lopped-off of the full-frame M lens images by the CL's APS-C sensor.

If you're thinking about M10 vs. A7RII, perhaps consider the Leica SL too. Performance-wise, I love the SL. But ... it's a big beast. It's also really heavy, heavier than the other two.

I am just so on the fence..... common sense tells me that I shall need focus tracking in order to be able to keep up with Lucy..... however, when the Leica works the pictures are just much more meaningful for some reason. It's like the Sony produces lovely photos but the Leica somehow produces "fat" photos, I find it hard to explain. It must be in the internal processing but it's output feels much richer somehow :(

Admittedly this image is also posted over on the SC forum but it made an interesting point to me regarding that "Leica-thing". Although it's sunny out in northern Vermont a "stroll" is out of the question today for photos. Walkways and roads are super icy.
So I stayed inside and looked for yet another still-life. I shot a very similar picture to this one with a Fuji X Pro1 and 35mm f2 this morning. It came out fairly nice. However the near identical image I made shortly thereafter with the CL and Voigtlander Classic 40mm f1.4 SC, even with the tight crop needed, had much more "character". Yup, tough stuff to explain.
. . . David
Darlene's Small Castle.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

One thing to keep in mind for active kid pics is zone focus - choose an aperture that's constricted enough to create a ten or so foot range of "all-in-focus", and set the lens' focus distance to the center of that. Creates an "always-in-focus" zone to get the fast moving tyke's actions all set.

A very high ISO is then used to allow for freezing action at 1/100th shutter or such. After setup, no focus lag, just shoot!

You can see my dilemma..... Leica M240 50mm Summilux.... ok a bit out of focus and then we have the Sony A7RII manual focussed using the Contax G 45mm....

L1000843-Edit.jpg

DSC04444-Edit-2-2.jpg

The Sony also slightly out of focus but acceptable.... I love them both :(

Shees - do I want to get one of these. Especially after reading these:

Leica CL in Scotland 2018 – Part 1 – Tobinators
Leica CL in Scotland 2018 – Part 2 – Tobinators
Leica CL in Scotland 2018 – Part 3 – Tobinators
Leica CL in Scotland 2018 – Part 4 – Tobinators

Been jonesing about one as a kit with the 18mm. But I have the 18-55mm and the 11-23mm, so perhaps eschew the extra lens and extra $1k, and just go for the camera.

Very nice pictures! Photos of M lens on CL will be highly appreciated.

Back