E-P5 or E-PL8?

I've not bought a camera for ages, and have been wanting to get an OLy of one kind or another. I have an opportunity to buy an E-P5 (body only) at a really good price and am wondering what people's thoughts on this as opposed to the E-PL8. I'm not at all interested in the selfie aspect of the 8, so are there other aspects which might sway me one way or the other?

Just in case someone wants to say "PEN-F"... that is well beyond my means.

I'm struggling to justify a more expensive E-PL8 over an E-P5 which is a wonderful camera (as long as you don't let someone irresponsible borrow it, but that's another story). Have you factored in the viewfinder situation with either camera?

I keep an EP5 on my desk at work as a grab camera. Great IBIS and tilt screen. I don’t see any great advantage to the epl8 unless it’s in the WiFi area.

I would love either of those cameras....if I had a viewfinder for it. I prefer a slightly larger body so I PERSONALLY would choose the E-P5....but people that like a smaller form factor might choose the E-PL8.

Honestly, I'd go to Mu-43.com......I'm sure it's been debated ad nauseum there. You can come to your own conclusion based on your own criteria.

btw, not sure what used prices are like down under......but I know E-P5 bodies are hard to sell over here right now (unless they are quite cheap). Make sure to check completed auctions on eBay to see what current sales prices are in your region.

Unless you've held an E-PL8 and really like the feel I'd get the E-P5, no question. It just has a nice weight and well built feeling that the E-PL#s I've used haven't. The E-P5 still has better IBIS, has dual control dials, more customization options (yes that could also be a bad thing), and a built in flash so you can have a flash and EVF at the same time.

I'm struggling to justify a more expensive E-PL8 over an E-P5 which is a wonderful camera (as long as you don't let someone irresponsible borrow it, but that's another story). Have you factored in the viewfinder situation with either camera?

I already own a VF-2+eyecup which I bought to mate with my XZ-1. I believe its compatible with these cameras, even though its resolution isnt as great as the later VF-4.

Unless you've held an E-PL8 and really like the feel I'd get the E-P5, no question. It just has a nice weight and well built feeling that the E-PL#s I've used haven't. The E-P5 still has better IBIS, has dual control dials, more customization options (yes that could also be a bad thing), and a built in flash so you can have a flash and EVF at the same time.

Sounds like a lot of good reasons to get the 5. Given that I am (reluctantly) looking at getting rid of my Pentax gear (I've been hesitating for 3 years) I think the E-P5 might be a good alternative. I'd get an adapter too, because I have a couple of manual lenses for the pentax which would be giveaways and I dont want to do that, so I could keep and use them with the Olympus, as I sometimes do with the Nikon V1 (wonder how a 70-300 would go... Hmmmm)

A couple of months ago I saw an EPL7 body for sale at Harvey Normal for $200, which I couldn't walk away from, and have been very impressed by it. My first mft camera was an EPL3; sold it, missed it, bought a used EPL5 - disliked it, sold it. I bought a used EM5 for a short while but didn't like the feel of the SLR-styled body, sold it. Eventually settled on a used Panasonic GX7 - I obviously prefer rangefinder styling, but you may feel differently.

For me, the EPL7 is a beautifully made camera, with much better user interface than my earlier models. I do miss an EVF, but you'd be right with your VF. The EPL8 is sure to be even better.

Another thing I find with Olympus is how easy it is to update firmware for the body and any Oly or Panasonic lenses, worth having one around just for the job!

Good luck with your decision.

Cheers,

Melanie

I have been using the E-P5 for my single in january choice. Have been more than pleased with the versatility and IBIS!
Great results at bargain price vs the newer OMD series or the Pen-F.

The E-PL7 was (is!) one of the nicest PEN bodies Olympus ever made - it feels better in the hand than even the also very good E-P5. The E-PL8 is comparatively slippery and fiddly - worse than the somewhat barren, but pleasantly slick and small E-PM1. The innards of the E-PL8 are almost identical to the E-PL7's - there's only a couple of minor software "enhancements" I certainly wouldn't bother about. The sensor and I.B.I.S. are the same. The E-PL8 isn't worth it over any other PEN, older or newer, that's my personal opinion.

The E-P5 is an almost professional grade camera, very competent indeed (the only thing it truely lacks is weather sealing). In the hand, I prefer the E-PL7, though - so if you need a fast camera with very good IQ for casual shooting, I'd choose the E-PL7 even over the E-P5. That said, if the price for the E-P5 is right, this is one serious powerhouse that's still pleasantly small and handles great. So if there's an E-P5 available for a reasonable price (sorry, I have no idea of what that would be in Australian dollars), I'd go for that, no doubt whatsoever. If, however, there were also an E-PL7 to be had at the same or a little lower price, that's what I'd get. The E-PL8 gets a no-no from me - I held the camera at Photokina and felt almost cheated, knowing that it was an E-PL7 in cheesy disguise.

To use an analogy: The E-P5 is a slick sportscar with a seriously powerful engine - little compromises made towards casual use, but still capable of being used as an everyday car, though less suited for travel for those who like a little comfort. The E-PL7 is the funcar version - less power, less roar, but a little softer in the suspension, top raised to allow for a little more space for everyday duty while not giving up much on the road. The E-PL8 is the bling variant - the cabriolet version, quite nice to look at, but something you wouldn't want to have to drive in cold and wet weather; still fun, but only if conditions are right. Which one would you choose?

I just rediscovered the E-PL7 - it's a fast camera that's ideal with the small primes available for :mu43: (it can handle the bigger lenses - but I prefer the small packages much better). I'll take it for a casual roll next month with three primes just to celebrate the strengths of this underrated little camera. I had the intention of replacing it with the GX80 - but it stuck around for some reason, and now I'm glad I hesitated ...

M.

Thanks, Melanie. My goodness how lucky were you!
Indeed, and it was the second such lucky purchase in an establishment I seldom visit - I also bought my first Fuji X10 there, two years ago, marked down to the same price!

As elsewhere mentioned, the EPL7 build quality is amazing, it's a real brick, but in a very good way. Also, the articulating screen is particularly sturdy and nice to use, even if you won't use it for selfies.

Back