Linux Linux post processing options.

I have used Linux for many years to access the internet but have used another computer running Windows for my photography. I've dabbled from time to time with photography applications on Linux, mainly Bibble, which became AfterShotPro, and GIMP. In the last few days I've made determined efforts to get to grips with RawTherapee and have found that by installing the full GIMP plugin registry, which is not installed by default, there are further tricks enabled, such as the equivalent of the Photoshop Healing Brush, which actually began its life in GIMP. This brings GIMP up to a level somewhere between Adobe Elements and the full Photoshop, albeit perhaps in not as slick a package as Photoshop, but one which is usable once the different approach, short cut keys and nomenclature are mastered.

The upshot is that the latest SIJ has had the unexpected spin off of my drifting to Linux for my photo editing so much so that I'm seriously considering reconfiguring my Windows machine which has 32GB of memory to a Linux one, although I will keep the Windows hard drive just in case I feel the need to return it to service. I used to set up machines to dual boot some years ago but don't want to go down that avenue again. With the recent failure of my Linux machine, now replaced, I found that I was able to temporarily convert the Windows machine to Linux by disconnecting the Windows hard drive and connecting up a Linux hard drive. Since it's a Hewlett Packard small form factor machine with very easy access that could be achieved in about 1 minute.

The alternative is to continue with the Windows machine until it fails in the knowledge that I wouldn't need to replace it with another Windows machine, I can achieve comparable results under Linux.

Barrie

Interesting article. When I was using Linux I always used GIMP for editing, and I was using an app called Shotwell for photo management and viewing. I never really settled into Linux as a fulltime OS for me, but it seems lots have changed. I have Virtualbox on board my macbook, might take another look. Macbook is getting old now (2010) and perhaps it will have to be devoted to Linux entirely at some point in its future.

Back