SiJ 2018 - outtakes and experiments

Name
Matt
Just after midnight, I got quite frustrated trying to shoot the fireworks, but I'm sure now it was not the camera's fault; after posting today's image, I want out for dinner and took a couple of night shots on the way; here's just one that shows how nicely the V1 can deal with the dark (provided I stay below ISO 800 and judge conditions suffiently well).

SiJ2018_01_outtake.jpg

The less "fun" aspect is that I only noticed after taking the shot that there was someone homeless asleep in the street underneath that window - and it may well be freezing tonight. He/She chose that spot for the relative shelter it offers. Something to ponder ...

M.

I find with the Nikon 1 cameras of that era, that keeping ISO right down as much as you can, *and* making sure there's a reasonable light source, and it does OK. I like that shot, it works well :)

For myself... I have one from day 1 which I would dare show here, and its awful. I have no idea why I thought a 10-30mm could possibly be long enough to get any detail in this bird but I tried anyway. Its a Koel and has been annoying me for days with its constant calling for companionship, all day and half the night. All the others have gone to greener pastures.. she's the last of them and she just wont go.

5890CA60-A790-4AA6-A6AD-9204F7F236BA.jpeg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Here's one of our native streamside trees, Hazel Alder, Alnus serulata. I was trying to frame its cones and catkins against the backdrop of a frozen stream, and I felt like the composition just ended up being a busy mess.
View attachment 131469
The idea's sound, though - I quite like the way the foreground and background interact; the net/crack-like structure of the hazel really adds to the image ...

Outtakes from day 1:

View attachment 131471
Playuela by Antonio Ramirez, on Flickr

View attachment 131472

View attachment 131473

Cheers,

Antonio
These are great, Antonio - super-wides are wonderful lenses if used skillfully. Really makes me consider the Laowa 7.5mm f/2 for :mu43: again ... but I couldn't probably justify even that (let alone the Zeiss). I'm most probably not best at "seeing" wide ... Anyhow, keep'em coming, love it already.

M.

Antonio - super-wides are wonderful lenses if used skillfully. Really makes me consider the Laowa 7.5mm f/2 for :mu43: again ... but I couldn't probably justify even that (let alone the Zeiss). I'm most probably not best at "seeing" wide ... Anyhow, keep'em coming, love it already.

M.

Quite true. Part of this exercise is to allow me to better visualize how things look through the 15mm before I even bring the camera to my eye. I keep forgetting how wide 15mm really is.

I appreciate your kind words.

Cheers,

Antonio

27681977039_e990b4bc75_o.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Después de María by Antonio Ramirez, on Flickr

Both this and my shot for the day were shot during a brief drive during my lunch break today. Over three months have passed since the storm, and there is still a very significant amount of dead tree limbs and debris everywhere. Although neither shot shows this as clearly as I had hoped, I believe the one I posted is a bit more effective than this one.

Cheers,

Antonio

After a rather frustrating day, I happened upon a rare sight very close to my place - a flock of sheep grazing on a piece of unused farmland (it's now closer to a grassland), amidst the wind and rain. Very pleasing sight, in spite of the miserable conditions; this image shows how close they were to the houses in the neighbourhood:
View attachment 131595

M.

Back