Eye in the Sky

tonyturley

Legend
Name
Tony
For many years, I enjoyed flying model airplanes, and naturally enjoyed aerial photography. I used a variety of inexpensive still and video cameras, but eventually became comfortable enough to strap my Pentax Q to the airplane. Like many things in life, I drifted away from model aviation as I began hiking more and more. I sold the Q, and before I knew it, my R/C equipment had laid dormant for over 3 years.

Our church owns a rural farm we're developing into a community park, sanctuary, and recreation center. I've been periodically documenting the progress, and noticed this week the foliage had changed a lot after a few days of cold weather and rain. Yesterday and today were supposed to be beautiful, so I decided to dust off the AP gear and charge some batteries.

It was very windy today, and difficult to keep the plane stable. I have an electronic switch that works as an intervalometer, triggering the shutter on the Nikon L2 at preset intervals. I basically just flew around as best I could, trying to get a few good frames. I think it turned out well, considering the little Nikon is basically a junk drawer camera.

DSCN2384.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

DSCN2447.JPG

DSCN2468.JPG

I took the plane out for some Halloween fun as the sun was setting this evening. Tiny sensor cameras and scenes with a high dynamic range - like a setting sun and deeply shaded landscape - are a challenge, but I got a few decent images, including a selfie as I was landing the plane. The other pic shows what my setup looks like. My gear is actually rather primitive compared to what some guys on the RCGroups forums have used.

DSCN0031.JPG

DSCN0082.JPG

DSCN0163.JPG

DSCN0195.JPG

DSCF0363.JPG

Foliage has changed a lot in the last couple of days. Wet, chilly, and windy with some mild warmth during the day. Did I mention the wind? Here are a few more from this afternoon, complete with the obligatory selfie from 400 feet. I do have a model downstairs that is big enough to comfortably carry my Fuji X-T1, which happens to have interval shooting. Hmmmmm . . . . . :D

DSCN2543.JPG

DSCN2582.png

DSCN2586.png

DSCN2610.png

DSCN2670.png

Mission accomplished . . . the new S95 works just as well for aerial work as folks have claimed. It doesn't work with my remote trigger, but no biggie. I just loaded a CHDK script to the SD card that allows, among other things, RAW shooting and an intervalometer, which I set to take a pic every 5 seconds. I set the camera to Shutter Priority at 1/1000, ISO 80, MF at Infinity, and pressed the shutter button right before launch. Here's my new setup with a few samples from this afternoon:

DSCF0461.JPG

IMG_0038a.JPG

IMG_0048a.JPG

IMG_0064a.JPG

IMG_0065a.JPG

IMG_0078a.JPG

Coming in for landing!

IMG_0151a.JPG

Mission accomplished . . . the new S95 works just as well for aerial work as folks have claimed. It doesn't work with my remote trigger, but no biggie. I just loaded a CHDK script to the SD card that allows, among other things, RAW shooting and an intervalometer, which I set to take a pic every 5 seconds. I set the camera to Shutter Priority at 1/1000, ISO 80, MF at Infinity, and pressed the shutter button right before launch. Here's my new setup with a few samples from this afternoon:

View attachment 130141
View attachment 130142
View attachment 130143
View attachment 130144
View attachment 130145
View attachment 130146

Coming in for landing!

View attachment 130147

Very, very nice!

Cheers, Jock

Back