The Greatest War Photographer You've Never Heard Of

Steve,

Thanks for sharing that. In the picture at the bottom of the piece, it appears that she has two Leicas hung around her neck . . . or are those some other rangefinder?

Cheers, Jock

Thank you. It's a subject and a period that I am fascinated by. McCullin, Page, Jones-Griffiths - I have books by them all and more.

Bill,

If you have never read Two of the Missing: Remembering Sean Flynn and Dana Stone, I highly, highly recommend it. I found it chilling and scary . . . not so much because it was in part about combat photography (which is scary enough) . . . but because of what can happen to a person who is habitually exposed to a high Adrenalin situation.

Cheers, Jock

Steve,

Thanks for sharing that. In the picture at the bottom of the piece, it appears that she has two Leicas hung around her neck . . . or are those some other rangefinder?

Cheers, Jock
The one at the back is a Leica - M2 or M3. The one in front is very fuzzy but by the lens and top plate detail I'd say Nikon. The Contaxes on which they were based were too old for professional use by then.

Bill,

If you have never read Two of the Missing: Remembering Sean Flynn and Dana Stone, I highly, highly recommend it. I found it chilling and scary . . . not so much because it was in part about combat photography (which is scary enough) . . . but because of what can happen to a person who is habitually exposed to a high Adrenalin situation.

Cheers, Jock
Thanks Jock. Not read the book and I shall. I'm well aware of the story of Sean Flynn (Errol's son) because of Tim Page and his efforts over the years to find him.

Back