Sony rx 100v shaky footage 4k

mathew

Regular
hi guys
i need to pick your brains ,,,again lol
i did some 4k recording the weekend and iv just got round to viewing it , lovely quality BUT very shaky video , nearly unusable ?? it was filmed in 4k with steadycam thing turn on , but it wont let you choose the more advanced steady cam settings in 4k ,,, i recorded some more footage today and tried to be as smooth as possible but still not very good ?i now that in 1080 the other options are usable but i really wanted to use the 4k ,,, i also tried warp stabiliser but wasn't very happy with the results even when i played around with the warp stabiliser settings ,,,,i would buy a gimbal but cant seem to find a small one for compact cameras ,,,,,, any help would be great ,, cheers guys

I think it's a natural tendency for us to want to use the highest quality that is available....despite the fact the the difference is very likely not even discernable. Good 720 or 1080 is better than mediocre 4K. My TV at home is set to 720k and I've had people over that have cheap 4K screens at their house and they are blown away by the picture.

If you still want to go with 4K, have you looked into software-based correction? I do almost no video, but there's been a couple times I've uploaded to youtube and they have AUTO-appiled shake correction and I was kinda blown away by it...of course YMMV.

hi luke
cheers for the reply , i agree with what you say but was just looking at making that move from 1080 to 4k ,,,, iv shot afew videos in 4k and i always downscale it to 1080 which gives it a fantastic quality ,,, iv used warp stabiliser in premiere pro and after effects but have never thought them very good , you need next to no shake atall for it to look good,,,iv also recntly upgraded my tv to a samsung 65 inch 4k tv so saw interested in seeing how it looked ,, it kust seem to me that i keep hitting one problem after another , i have the sony fdr 1000 action cam and i can get smoother footage straight out of camera with that one ,, didnot really want to go the route of using gimbals , was hoping there was some new fantastic software which could take the shake out , maybe i need to change my technic ..

This group is usually pretty helpful, but I think we're mainly photographers and not videographers. Have you tried posting your query to some video-centric web forum?

I'm sure the action cam has some sort of hardware technology built into it to give smoother video whereas your stills camera allows you to capture video but isn't optimized for it. I could be totally wrong, but that's all I got.

Good luck trying to resolve your problems. If you get anything figured out, be sure to share your information here.

Back