Panasonic Panasonic ZS-100 back from repair - new images.

D

dalethorn

I got my brand new ZS-100 back from repair. They said that "the lens was full of dust", so they replaced the whole lens unit under warranty, no questions asked. Seems to me that Panasonic has been having problems...

#1 is just another sunset, on Auto White Balance (no "scenes"), which the ZS-100 did well I thought. #2 was taken from a safe distance at full zoom (250 mm view). #3 is some kind of flower, about which I have no idea...

Panasonic ZS-100, f5.1, 2 seconds braced against a support, ISO 200.
Charleston_Bridge41_s.jpg

Panasonic ZS-100, f5.9, 1/320 handheld, ISO 200.
Wasp01_s.jpg

Panasonic ZS-100, f2.8, 1/640 handheld, ISO 200.
Flower08_s.jpg

Glad to see it's up and running - too bad about the dust problem. If that's a common occurence with this camera, I guess that rules it out for me.

Glad to see it's up and running - too bad about the dust problem. If that's a common occurence with this camera, I guess that rules it out for me.

There was zero dust gotten into the camera when I had it. Based on their comments and the no-questions repair, they knew something - some introduction of large amounts of dust at the factory. I doubt that it would be possible to introduce that much dust any other way, say, if I got a refurb. But it was a brand new model and there shouldn't be refurbs anyway. If it were a refurb, you'd see some tiny scratches etc. on the camera somewhere, but it was mint...

Al from the Cameraworks says whenever he sees a fixed lens camera with a dust problem, it's a Panasonic.

I have twice had a dust problem with my Panasonic FZ200. That's why I started looking for alternatives. No problems so far with my LX100.

Cheers, Jock

Makes sense re: the LX100 - Panasonic puts extra care into the cameras they share with Leica. So far I'm getting great results with the 'new' ZS100, which unfortunately confirms my disappointment with the ZS100 that had all that dust I wasn't aware of, until I had several weeks of shooting on it.

Product photos:
#1 is my favorite watch, the Omega Grey Side of the Moon. Solid ceramic (from powder/slurry), platinum dial, and a good all-night glow. The mechanical movement has 2 sections of 27 jewels each, and is accurate to about 2/3 of one second per day. Very difficult for me to photograph because of glare.

#2 is a Louis Vuitton keychain leather fob. Extremely difficult for me to photograph, and required extensive editing to remove the areas of glare that obscured the lettering. It may be that it was made more difficult because of the wrinkling of the leather from daily use.

Panasonic ZS-100, f8.0, 1/15 sec. handheld, ISO 125.
Watch_Omega_Gsom01_s.jpg

Panasonic ZS-100, f3.2, 1/25 sec. handheld, ISO 200.
Louis_Vuitton04_s.jpg

No. 1, flowers (unknown type) and fountain. This type of flower is the easiest for me to photograph, since almost nothing can go wrong given reasonable light.

No. 2, Gull launching off of roof on fishing pier - this was a very grey and sometimes drizzly day, and given the gull's color, I found it easier to process in black & white than try to wrestle with any very subtle coloring in the original.

Panasonic ZS-100, f5.0, 1/100 handheld, ISO 125.
Flower09_s.jpg

Panasonic ZS-100, f6.3, 1/640 handheld, ISO 200.
Gull18_s.jpg

I was sitting on one side of the park watching people walking through on the far side, where there's just a slightly higher (a few inches) grass field in between. It's a very small rise, but just enough to produce the effect of people being on a lower tier on the other side.

Mtpleasant_Park40_s.jpg

No. 1, flowers (unknown type) and fountain. This type of flower is the easiest for me to photograph, since almost nothing can go wrong given reasonable light.

No. 2, Gull launching off of roof on fishing pier - this was a very grey and sometimes drizzly day, and given the gull's color, I found it easier to process in black & white than try to wrestle with any very subtle coloring in the original.

Panasonic ZS-100, f5.0, 1/100 handheld, ISO 125.
Flower09_s.jpg

Gull18_s.jpg
Looks like a foxglove to me, Dale. I agree, they're a very forgiving subject, and bees love them which makes them even better.

A familiar theme, but with the Moon and Jupiter. Note that the glow adjoining the tower on its right side is the light beamed up from a spotlight at the base of the tower. The light on the darker part of the Moon is presumably Earthshine, which apparently is highly visible due to the overexposure of the Moon. The Moon crescent would normally get 1/60 second or so depending on aperture and ISO, so 5 seconds for the bridge is a 300x overexposure of the Moon - which looks OK here anyway.

Panasonic ZS-100, f6.3, 5 seconds tripod, ISO 200.
Charleston_Bridge42_s.jpg

Well done. I'm surprised you were able to capture the clouds. Was this before it was fully dark?

Hard to say exactly. If the clouds are low enough, the light sources will raise their visibility since those lights are pretty strong. Also, being a large shipping harbor/channel, there are many light sources that produce a variety of effects after sunset.

1) Just another bird in flight.
2) A nearly hidden small graveyard next to a very old church.
3) Just another sunset on the harbor.

Panasonic ZS100, f6.3, 1/800 handheld, ISO 200.
Pelican01_s.jpg

Panasonic ZS100, f5.9, 1/15 sec. handheld-braced, ISO 200.
Charleston_Church05_s.jpg

Panasonic ZS100, f5.9, 1/200 handheld, ISO 125.
Sunset01_s.jpg

Nice work, Dale. Let us know when you've surpassed the point at which you began to see dust in the old ZS100 - and if the problem appears in this example. I have the camera, too. But I don't have that many clicks on it yet.

Nice work, Dale. Let us know when you've surpassed the point at which you began to see dust in the old ZS100 - and if the problem appears in this example. I have the camera, too. But I don't have that many clicks on it yet.

I've been using the ZS-100 heavily since it came back, even though I haven't processed and posted many images. I see no tendency for any dust to show up. I don't expect any dust, because I use a case that encloses the camera completely, and I avoid dusty or dirty or moist places. My first problems with dust creeping into lenses or electronic displays goes back to the latter 1970's with HP pocket computers like the 41c. Mostly I've not had a problem with cameras.

Back