The most fearsome words an amateur photographer can hear. . .

Jock Elliott

Hall of Famer
From the better half: "The pictures from the new camera don't look as nice as the ones from your old camera."

Yikes!

But my wife, ace long-range wildlife spotter, encourager, photo enabler, and chief photo critic, was right: the P900 was turning out to be a fair-weather friend. On sunny days, it kicked butt and took names, delivering excellent results. But on cloudy days (and we get them often in upstate New York), the white balance had a yellowish cast that was difficult to correct for, and the images at long range were often insipid, lacking crispness and punch.

Sure, these things can be improved with post processing, but I didn't feel like struggling to get the results I wanted. So the P900 is going back to whence it came.

All cameras have their foibles, and I think the P900 is an excellent camera if you are willing to put up with its particular idiosyncrasies, but ultimately I found was not, particularly when the better half says the pictures aren't as good as the old camera.

Cheers, Jock

From the better half: "The pictures from the new camera don't look as nice as the ones from your old camera."

Yikes!

But my wife, ace long-range wildlife spotter, encourager, photo enabler, and chief photo critic, was right: the P900 was turning out to be a fair-weather friend. On sunny days, it kicked butt and took names, delivering excellent results. But on cloudy days (and we get them often in upstate New York), the white balance had a yellowish cast that was difficult to correct for, and the images at long range were often insipid, lacking crispness and punch.

Sure, these things can be improved with post processing, but I didn't feel like struggling to get the results I wanted. So the P900 is going back to whence it came.

All cameras have their foibles, and I think the P900 is an excellent camera if you are willing to put up with its particular idiosyncrasies, but ultimately I found was not, particularly when the better half says the pictures aren't as good as the old camera.

Cheers, Jock

I feel like I've lost something, and it wasn't even my camera.

That’s odd. my wife said the same about my pictures with my new camera (LX100) compared to my previous one and I sheepishly agreed. It took me a few months to get to know the camera and to get all the factors to ‘line up’ to yield excellent images. No more similar comments!

Back