Micro 4/3 12-40 and EM-10 - comfortable combination???

swandy

Regular
I have been shooting with the EM10 since it came out (without a grip) and a variety of lenses. Usually one of the kit zooms for convenience and the 17mm/1.8 otherwise. I have (to be completely honest) lusted over the 12-40, but every time it comes up in the reconditioned pages at Olympus, I just think that it is too large - especially considering the size/weight of the EM10. (Of course that is until I see the 28-70 Canon L lens that my son-in-law uses for work at the NY Post!!!)

So - I just placed an order for the 12-40 reconditioned.

(1) Any thoughts on how the combination feels (again without a grip) for those who use it?

(2) Am thinking of replacing the EM10 with the EM5-II after the holidays. How much more comfortable is that combination?

Thanks,

Steve

I think the only way to decide this is to just try it and return the lens if you don't like it. Opinions on this just seem to vary widely. Having had both the EM10 and the EM5 II I think they would be very similar. Both would be better with a grip. The EM1 would be different.

I like on the E-M1. I can't imagine using it on a smaller camera without a grip. But then, I don't use any straps, so I guess it also depends on that as well. That lens is so great, it rarely leaves my camera.

I have zero issues using the 12-40 with the EM5, and dislike grips (which is why I still prefer my EM5 over the EM1). Then again, I mostly hold the camera by holding the lens with my left hand, and using my right hand to set the controls.

The combo is perfectly manageable, but frankly, I clearly prefer using the ECG-1 grip with the 12-40mm. But in all honesty, I've come to prefer the E-M10 gripped anyway (except when using the 17mm f/1.8, that is) because it gives me handling options I don't have without it, like letting the camera hang from my fingertips when walking. Is the grip necessary? No, it isn't, but I find it more convenient as well as more comfortable.

I've also tried the 12-40mm on the E-M5 II and found that combo (gripless) to be more comfortable than the lens on the E-M10 without a grip. But coming from the experience with the grip, I'd probably add one all the same.

If it's only a size thing, the grip really doesn't add that much bulk compared to what you put on in this respect with the lens ...

M.

Back