New tricks in Photoshop (at least for this old dog)

Lawrence A.

Hall of Famer
Name
Larry
I know now that the technique to do this with the spot healing brush and the shift key has been around for several years now, but it was new to me. I really like this shot, but not with the wire in front.

i-2n2M42j-L.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

i-nkz59m2-L.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

With thanks to this Youtube post:
I guess you need CS 5 or later, but anyone subscribing to Adobe Cloud will be able to do it. I'm thrilled, and have some shots from trips I'm going to revisit.

Last edited:
Thanks Lucille and Red. I always used the cloning brush, or maybe the healing brush to try this sort of thing, so having it done in one fell swoop, with only a bit to clean up manually, was wonderful.

Of course I try to use this sort of thing judiciously. I don't want to become like Stalin. On seeing the results of this, a friend of mine said, "Molotov? What Molotov?"

I've loved this trick forever! Its not always perfect (when you watch the vid, you can see there are some artifacts left on the flagpole, but they are easily removed with a little pixel level editing) but its a heck of a time saver. Its also starting to make its way into other applications, I've noticed a similar thing in iPhoto, Photos and Pixelmator.

I've loved this trick forever! Its not always perfect (when you watch the vid, you can see there are some artifacts left on the flagpole, but they are easily removed with a little pixel level editing) but its a heck of a time saver. Its also starting to make its way into other applications, I've noticed a similar thing in iPhoto, Photos and Pixelmator.

Yes, it takes me forever to catch on. But I figured if I didn't know about it, surely there were other people too who were oh! so 20th century and hadn't caught on.

Yes, it takes me forever to catch on. But I figured if I didn't know about it, surely there were other people too who were oh! so 20th century and hadn't caught on.
Indeed. When I say "forever" I use the term loosely. I had CS4 I think and I saw a youtube vid about the content aware thing coming in 5, but it took a long time for me to upgrade :) I can't afford to keep going on upgrades so am looking around for alternatives that also make a decent job of it. Hence my reference to other apps.

Indeed. When I say "forever" I use the term loosely. I had CS4 I think and I saw a youtube vid about the content aware thing coming in 5, but it took a long time for me to upgrade :) I can't afford to keep going on upgrades so am looking around for alternatives that also make a decent job of it. Hence my reference to other apps.

I was using Photoshop 7, and the only way I could afford an upgrade was to subscribe to the $10 a month deal for Lightroom and Photoshop CS6. As long as the price is about that, I'm OK, but if they raise it significantly I'll have to shop for alternatives. I'd hate to do that, since I'm comfortable with Photoshop (even if I don't know three quarters of what I can do with it). I'll jot down your alternatives so if ever the day comes.....

I was using Photoshop 7, and the only way I could afford an upgrade was to subscribe to the $10 a month deal for Lightroom and Photoshop CS6. As long as the price is about that, I'm OK, but if they raise it significantly I'll have to shop for alternatives. I'd hate to do that, since I'm comfortable with Photoshop (even if I don't know three quarters of what I can do with it). I'll jot down your alternatives so if ever the day comes.....

Alas, they won't be any good to you if you're using Windows :(

Oh Dear, I am using Windows. And I have to use Photo Ninja for my X-Pro raw files, since LR does such an awful job with the Xtrans files from it, and Iridient is Mac only. I don't mean to start a war, but I've never liked using Macs, not even when I was working in a photo lab on one. They seem counter-intuitive to me, and I miss the right click mouse function like hell. I'm not dishing the system, just stating my preferences. At this stage of the game, I'm unlikely to change my stripes.

LOL! Larry, must have been a long time ago. I've had right mouse click since 2003 when I first gave up on Windows. I can't live without it either. Some do, and use option-click instead, but I like the right click.

Have you tried the DXO products? Not sure if theres a content aware thing though.

LOL! Larry, must have been a long time ago. I've had right mouse click since 2003 when I first gave up on Windows. I can't live without it either. Some do, and use option-click instead, but I like the right click.

Have you tried the DXO products? Not sure if theres a content aware thing though.

Like I said, I'm way behind the times.

Back