Canon New Canon Serious Compact Apparently Coming

demiro

Serious Compacts For Life
from canonwatch (was on Canon's web site; now removed): Powershot G5 X specs:
  • Lens: 8.8-36.8mm F1.8-2.8 (equivalent 24-100mm F1.8-2.8)
  • Size: 112mm x 76mm x 44mm
  • Weight: 337g
  • LCD Monitor: 3 inches. 1.04 million dot
g5x-1.JPG
g5x-3.JPG

I saw the link to Canon web site and checked it last night. It was advertised as $800 and was open for orders... They use the same lens from G7X with Sony 1" sensor. I was expecting the lens should be btw g3x 600mm and g7x 100mm tele ends but it is not. At least Canon is starting to use evf in the gx series... G3X with this evf could have been better, maybe we'll see that next year as G1X...

The lens is the same zoom and aperture range as the G7X, but it looks like a notably larger camera and, possibly, lens as well??? Which makes me think/hope that maybe it's a similarly spec'd lens but notably better optically? The rumor sites seem to indicate it's the same lens as the G7X, but I suppose we'll have to wait and see...

-Ray

Which is exactly the modernized Pro 1 :)

Ray, I believe it is the same lens/sensor combo from G7X, it's almost the same body with a really tiny EVF on it.
It's just that we are accustomed to idea that cameras of this design are bigger :) Take a look at this comparison:

Compare camera dimensions side by side

The given dimensions put G5X just in between these two.
I'm afraid you're right and hoping you're not. But then again, I don't really have a dog in this hunt. As much as I like the G7X, I really don't use it very much and doubt I'd use any other small sensor camera much more. I don't care much about an evf in a camera like this and I wouldn't want to give up the flip up screen in the G7X for a fully articulated screen on this G5X - I've just never liked fully articulated screens at all. The only way I'd even be remotely interested was if they went bigger enough to maintain the lens spec while making it considerably better optically. But, again, still probably not enough for me to actually plunk down any money for one...

-Ray

I think Canon got some things right on this one, but still may have missed the boat in the end...

-A built-in grip is good.

-A built-in viewfinder (vs. an expensive addon) is also a good thing.
Sony's pop-up viewfinder may be the more appropriate solution for a camera of this size though(?).

In my opinion the G3X would have been the camera for a built-in viewfinder and fully articulated screen. But there's always going to be the MkII :)

Last edited by a moderator:
To a lot of people, "serious" means apsc at least and this ain't it.

If you use sensor size as a pass/fail for new cameras it makes your life a bit simpler, as you can ignore a lot of options. I'm a bit jealous of that view, even though it would mean I'd be missing out on a lot of cameras that I really enjoy.

If you use sensor size as a pass/fail for new cameras it makes your life a bit simpler, as you can ignore a lot of options. I'm a bit jealous of that view, even though it would mean I'd be missing out on a lot of cameras that I really enjoy.
I get the worst of both worlds in this regard - I like a lot of the "small" sensor compacts, so I buy them, and then I rarely end up using them! Lose, lose... :rolleyes-74:

-Ray

I guess it's about your fears after all, Ray :)

Compare camera dimensions side by side

And from DPR: The PowerShot G5 X looks like a G7 X with a grip and pentaprism bolted to the top, and to be honest, that's pretty much what it is. Except for the viewfinder and grip and a couple of other little touches the G5 X is basically the same as the G7 X: the same 20.2MP 1"-type BSI CMOS sensor, the same lens (24-100mm equiv F1.8-2.8), the same shooting features (including a selectable ND filter and Raw support). What differentiates the two cameras are the tools used to compose and control the camera.

Back