R/C Airshow

gryphon1911

Hall of Famer
Name
Andrew
National Museum of the USAF

Dayton, OH

Annual Model R/C Show. Just happened to be in the area so thought I would check it out. Much cooler than I thought it would be. Thought it would be just a bunch of sellers and collectors, but they were actually running a show, much like an air show. Very fun to watch.

1/3 scale models, made from kits and some scratch made.

Olympus EM5 Mk II & 40-150/4-5.6R

Pre-flight interview
20597692133_2a79afd3fb_h.jpg

Posing with model plane
20596135034_e4a9e4c88c_h.jpg

Smoke Trail
21226761831_b8ac4c1cac_h.jpg

Jet After Landing
21030708680_e95028257f_h.jpg

Harrier-ing. Maneuver named after the Harrier Jump Jet, where the model plane is controlled so that it holds position, almost still. Possible because of the torque to weight ratio of the models. This is something not capable in the full scale versions of these planes.

20596129284_6bdbfba54c_h.jpg

I'm sure it is, but I tell you what...great craftsmanship on the planes and these guys were masters at flying them. Looked like money well spent!
All I can think about is that as much as I worry about dropping my camera or a lens, these guys get a whole new level of adrenaline rush when they can actually crash something with this amount of time and money investment.

Last edited:
All I can think about is that as much as worry about dropping my camera or a lens, these guys get a whole new level of adrenaline rush when they can actually crash something with this amount of time and money investment.

Or worse - collide with each other. There are many viral Youtube videos of expensive headons, sideswipes, etc.

Back