A Ghost Bike Dedication Ceremony

KillRamsey

Hall of Famer
Name
Kyle
In Boston / Cambridge, when a cyclist is struck and killed by a vehicle (they've all been large 18-wheelers these last 3 years, by the way), we come together to dedicate and chain up a "ghost bike" at the accident site to remind us all that driving a vehicle is a massive responsibility, and we all need to be careful with each other. Last night was, unfortunately, another such ceremony. This time it was a brilliant 38 year old Swiss researcher and doctoral candidate, I believe, who had just received word that her work was selected to be published when she was killed. An 18-wheeler came up along side her, turned right, and hit her with its front bumper corner, crushing her beneath the wheels.

20761555535_723a56d266_b.jpg
Anita Kurman Ghost Bike Ceremony
by gordopuggy, on Flickr

20140587943_1bd70451be_b.jpg
by gordopuggy, on Flickr

20768485081_d4ba54b9db_c.jpg
by gordopuggy, on Flickr

20752157452_f127a6dcf5_c.jpg
by gordopuggy, on Flickr

There's been a series of similar accidents in London in recent months, with a disproportionate number of female cyclists killed, often by large construction vehicles turning left without due care and attention. I think there are plans to fit these vehicles with compulsory cameras to eliminate driver blind spots, which must surely help.

Apparently we have ghost bikes too, but I haven't knowingly seen one myself.

-R

I remember reading about this when it happened - 2-3 weeks ago? - on one of the bike forums I still occasionally hang out on. Man, that over-taking right hand turn is the most common way to get it on the streets today. One reason to take the lane around intersections if there's ANY doubt. The driver is more likely to see you and NOTICE you than if you're in a bike lane or otherwise hugging the curb... They just don't seem to understand that we're going too fast to just pass and immediately turn right.

These damn things are so sad and they happen so often. I know all of us who commute or otherwise ride in urban areas have some very close calls of the same type. My wife and I saw a ghost bike in either Juneau or Skagway, AK last week and I had to explain to her what it was.

-Ray

Back