Canon Canon SX30 IS

Mal

Veteran
Just taken delivery today of a Canon SX30 IS.... first impressions are that it is a nice weight in the hand and really compact. Was eager to try out the 35x zoom lens, thought it would be nice for birding....
View attachment 39114
View attachment 39115
Took a hand held wide angle.... advertised as 24mm
View attachment 39116
Then standing in the same position... zoomed in to the 35x optical limit (840mm) with the Image Stabiliser (hence the IS in the model number) also hand held
View attachment 39117
No editing, digital zoom or crop has taken place for either image.

Although the sensor size is only 1/2.3 it is not a bad zoom image.... there is no RAW mode which is a shame, but hey... cant have everything... tried the macro mode but it was a bit soft.... could be because it was hand held.... will try a pod for macro and let you know....

Hi Mal, I'm addicted to long zooms. Do you assume this camera be a good replacement at low cost to a Pan G1 plus kitlens?
How's detail of images?
Manual zoom isn't possible I assume, right.
Congrats with your new cam!

Indeed, want to see bird pix. I bought my Panny FZ100 for that reason but I have been disappointed with the quality (or lack of it) of the camera (its plasticky, feels like a toy) and the shots (but that may be down to my negativity about it, generally).

VERY impressed with the quality of that full zoom shot, its amazingly clear.

I was toying with getting the Lumix FX100, because I have the LX5 and I'm used to where everything is now (modes etc) .... but reading the blogs and comparison sites, the verdict was that the Lumix was slightly ahead in the movie stakes, whilst the Canon, just nudged the stills options (which is what I was after).... this coupled with the styling and zoom capabilities... oh... and finding a seller on ebay offering it new, at £80 less than anyone else :)eek:) swayed me to the Canon.
View attachment 39195View attachment 39196
Read a comparison
Herman... As the Lumix G1 is a micro 4/3 camera with interchangeable lenses, it didn't really figure in my choice options, and I don't think it compares to these two cameras, it having a far superior sensor size... but the 35x zoom is a killer ;)
Kyteflyer... Just seen your post... Haven't taken many yet... but took a couple today on a walk with the dog.... I'll pick out some (un-edited) for you to see...

Here's a few... unedited
View attachment 39197
Automatic / about 30 feet away
View attachment 39198
Automatic / about 20 feet away
View attachment 39199
Programme AE / about 15 feet away... trying out the print date/time setting (could be useful)
On the blogs one of the bloggers talked about a purple outline around some images... On the one of the blackbird, I too noticed this purple outline on the breast of the blackbird, but I put it down to the lighting when shot, but as you see it doesn't come out on the finished image, so its not a problem really

Herman..... the red car is the full 35x.... as well as the top two birds.... the wood pigeon and the blackbird

As to the EVF.... it seems fine.... has some back lighting issues, but not a problem, as it does not transfer to the finished image

I had the SX20 IS for a short time. You might be interested in this. It's not really a firmware that is installed permanently. Just a little code to make the cam shoot RAW, long shutter, timed shutter, several other things. You put the file on the card and have to run it once.

CHDK Wiki

Back