Historic Building at Meeting & Calhoun St. near AME Church

D

dalethorn

I walked out into the street for this historic building (now 1 BR 1 Bath condos at $450000 USD), and the perspective distortion was pretty extreme - mostly fixed here with a few curly lines left over. There was good light on the building, but not the kind of direct sunlight that causes glare. Still, for some reason there's smear in the bricks in places, and it could be due to those corrections, cropping, etc. - don't know.

Leica Q, f6.3, 1/1000 handheld, ISO 200.
Charleston_Downtown26_s.jpg

I'm using 2 cameras mainly now, the Leica D-Lux (Panasonic LX100) and the Q. It's really remarkable how similar they are in many ways - functionality of switches, dials and buttons etc. For a long time I would read about how the D-Lux series were just rebranded Panasonics, and I suppose people assumed they were pure Panasonic (or nearly so) with Leica-branded lenses. But my perspective is changing now, and I think I see how these 2 companies collaborated on these mini-marvels over time, to produce cameras that melded very different technologies into single products.

So now I'm imagining 2 other camera companies collaborating on cameras - maybe Fuji and Samsung - where photographer-centric ideas blend with big-corporate resources to make a unique product. Sometimes the photographer-centric company produces a real winner for photographers, which might not get big sales but gets a great reputation (thinking Nikon Df), and while that's interesting, a collaboration with a big resourceful corp like Samsung or Panasonic could get the same thing into a more compact frame.

The Q is the first Leica that I think I could afford!! It's still a bit out of my price range, but in a few years on the used market, or when a Mk II hits, you never know. Found a used Nikon Df the other day online for under 2K, so it does happen.

I'd definitely like to try one out sometime. I might need to make a visit to my local camera store and check out the Q and see what it is all about.

Back