Samsung Upgrading from NX300 to NX500?

dave6376

Regular
I have an NX300 which I like very much and my question is simply whether the NX500 is enough of an advance to justify changing. Ideally I'd like an NX1 but financially it's out of the question. Apart from the lack of an EVF, a non-issue for anyone who uses the NX300, the main criticisms of the NX500 seem to relate to its video capabilities. Since I'm a photographer and not a videographer that doesn't bother me at all. Otherwise it looks as if the NX500 gives you most of what the NX1 offers for about half the money. Any thoughts or comments?

For me, the biggest reason to upgrade is the speed of functioning. The NX300 is very slow in almost every way, from turning it on, to writing to the card, etc. It is just a painfully slow operating camera. Slow enough that it is annoying especially after I put my NX1, or any other camera down, because you get used to a camera operating quickly. Let's not forget that the 500 also has dual control wheels :)
The NX500 is better is every way.

I had and sold the NX300, which I regretted. I am very happy with the NX500 and consider it to be a nice upgrade to the NX300.
I like the ergonomics better, the rear screen, and as Nic said, the second control dial. I usually use aperture priority and find the NX500 quicker than my Fuji's to access my most used controls. AEL is just a finger slide to the right of the shutter button, the main control dial set to aperture, the second control dial set to exposure comp, and the +/- button, just below the second control wheel, to metering, so I can easily choose multi or spot metering.

I don't shoot video.

Greetings everyone. I hope it's not being rude to post a general question or two but I don't know whom else to ask. Feel free to ignore me. Just bought an NX300 used. Had been using the NX 1000. Two things I've discovered. I use Photoshop Elements to edit my raw shots for my NX1000 but the software does not recognize the NX300 raw format. It doesn't read the files. The files also won't open in Light room. ? ? ? Finally, I noticed that the raw file size taking the same shot at the same settings using both cameras result in very different file sizes. The NX1000 produces files at least 10 megs larger. Shooting in single shot mode, by the way. I'm such an amateur I'll never figure these things out on my own. If anyone can help it would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Greetings everyone. I hope it's not being rude to post a general question or two but I don't know whom else to ask. Feel free to ignore me. Just bought an NX300 used. Had been using the NX 1000. Two things I've discovered. I use Photoshop Elements to edit my raw shots for my NX1000 but the software does not recognize the NX300 raw format. It doesn't read the files. The files also won't open in Light room. ? ? ? Finally, I noticed that the raw file size taking the same shot at the same settings using both cameras result in very different file sizes. The NX1000 produces files at least 10 megs larger. Shooting in single shot mode, by the way. I'm such an amateur I'll never figure these things out on my own. If anyone can help it would be much appreciated. Thank you.

What version of Elements and Lightroom? If they are not he most recent they probably do not have the updated RAW converter. If that is the case and you don't want to upgrade, you can always downlaod the free Adobe RAW to DNG converter and then process in the programs you have.

What version of Elements and Lightroom? If they are not he most recent they probably do not have the updated RAW converter. If that is the case and you don't want to upgrade, you can always downlaod the free Adobe RAW to DNG converter and then process in the programs you have.
Thank you. I downloaded the latest version of Adobe's DNG converter tonight and it didn't recognize the raw file so I couldn't convert it. I think there is something basic that is wrong or that I am missing. The camera doesn't compress these files or anything strange I suppose? Do you have this camera? Would like to know a user who could share what software they use.

Until the NX300, Samsung didn't apply any compression to the native SRW raw files which resulted in 20 megapixel images being saved to a file size of approx. 40Mb. The NX300 and alter Samsungs apply a degree of lossless compression to reduce file sizes.

An NX300 raw file can be read natively into Lightroom 4 or later, however Adobe software seems to add a small amount of colour fringing to the SRW files which is completely absent when they are first converted to DNG and then read in to Lightroom.

Back