XZ-2, XZ-10, Stylus 1, E-PL5, GM1, or RX100

davidzvi

Hall of Famer
Name
David
Looking for something to compliment my Olympus E-M10. Something small, at least jacket or cargo short pocket friendly.

Compact Camera Meter -- Size compare

Least likely to meet the goal, E-PL5. Thickest even with my Panasonic 12-32. But nice sensor and handling is not bad. And does use the same batteries as my E-M10. I had an E-PM1 with the Olympus 14-42 lens so I know it would work but just.

Next is the Stylus 1. Great handling but overall size is not really any savings over my E-M10 other than it's an all in one package. But also probably the most expensive. Again same batteries.

The GM1 might be the best combination of size and sensor. Sadly it also includes my least favorite interface in the group.

XZ-2, great handling, not bad sensor, finally getting to a price that seems reasonable. Part of my issue with getting one is actually the thought that as soon as I do Olympus will release an LX100 competitor with a 1" or m4/3 sensor sourced from the deal with Sony. I know silly. But that would actually be the camera I would want. (maybe someone has hacked an LX100 with Olympus controls? o_O)

XZ-10, smallest sensor and does not support the Olympus Super Control Panel (unless I missed something in the manual). I really like that panel, it probably my favorite control screen of any camera I've used. But the XZ-10 is often the first camera I rule out after the E-PL5 & Stylus 1 based on senor and controls. But it sneaks back in for the 26-130 zoom range and size.

Not sure where to put the RX100. Handling might be the worst given is just so small. But as many threads have noted, that sensor is just ... well you know.

I've ruled out Fuji, not a fan of X-Tran, and the other Panasonic. The GM1 is just there given the size and used prices since the GM5 cam out. Not really a fan of Canon either though I did look at the G7 X but I think I'll stay with the Sony as an option.

Thoughts?

I don't have a lot of input on your selection here. But my 2 cents is that if the main reason for you getting a companion to your other camera is pocketability, I'd only consider the RX100 and the XZ-10.....the others are all just too bulky.

And of those 2, I would choose the RX100 for the sensor.

In reference to your estimation that the RX100 might not be great in the handling department because of it's small size, I can only say that I HATE small cameras, but when I owned the RX100, I was OK with the handling. I didn't love the camera, but the handling wasn't what pushed me to sell it.

Yes the Stylus 1 and E-PL5 are really probably out. The Stylus just peaked my interest given the release of the 1s and firmware update. Add to that it's hard to think of something that could handle closer to the E-M10, which I really like. The E-PL5, well that's probably on there just because they are so cheap right now...

I think I tend to agree between the XZ-10 and RX100, the RX is probably worth the extra $$.

The XZ-2 and GM1 still have advantages I think I need to think about. The XZ-2 is by far the cheapest, the RX the smallest, the GM1 most versatile given the lenses I have already. :confused:

So now down to:

Compact Camera Meter

What kinda lens do you have on the E-M10? I'm quite interested in the Stylus 1 as an addition to a lager sensor camera with a fairly wide prime.

Also, do you have any images of the m4/3 + 9mm fisheye lens defished with that profile? Sounds intriguing...

I have the Pan 12-32 & 45-175 + Olympus 17mm f/1.8 + Sigma 30 & 60 + Oly 9mm. So a small kit. The Sigma 30 is actually for sale to help fund this purchase. Most of my kit is geared toward what the Stylus would also cover, so 12-32 on the body and 45-175 in my pocket is just about the same as the Stylus 1. If I went the GM1 route the 12-32 or 9mm probably be all I would use on it. Out and about with both I'd probably have the 17 / 60 / 45-175 on the E-M10 with the 12-32 or 9mm on the GM1.

Ask you you might receive:
View media item 12260View media item 12261View media item 12263View media item 12262View media item 12259View media item 12258

Back