new year maintenance suggestions

Luke

Legend
Name
Luke
Hey folks,
I just happened to go to my "recycle bin" on my computer to look for a recent photo deletion (of course it wasn't there), only to realize that I hadn't clicked on "empty recycle bin" in a LONG time. There was over 10 GB in there. It made me wonder what other little things I may have forgotten about doing (either tech related or in general living) that others here like to do around the new year to start fresh.

I'm going to go change my furnace filter while you folks make some suggestions.

One big problem is camera default filenames, especially if you use several cameras that are in the same number range (i.e. DSC12345), so a way to at least semi-automate renaming so that I don't have to have a lot of separate folders, or depend on date sequence only, would help.

I vowed not to read the Daily Mail ever again.... having received a lot of flack for doing so.... I failed already :( It does seem to dwell on the sob stories about dogs biting their own leg off to escape, being boiled alive in Thailand etc. etc. I decided to stay away from unnecessary bad news this year! I also empty my Trash basket often, I take a lot of rubbishy photos....

I recommend backing up important files on your computer, and hugging your girlfriend. Just done one of those, the other will have to wait until I remember the procedure.

-R

Were I to hug my girlfriend, or HAVE one for that matter, my wife would probably cease being a wife or a friend, so I just hug her as much as possible instead...

But I was reminded that it's always a good idea to give the sensor on a DSLR a good cleaning. I had a couple of shots early this week that needed an amazing number of little dust-spot removals, so I decided to just clean the dust instead of having to keep doing that. A relatively quick and easy job and makes a huge difference...

-Ray

I'm still chuckling at some of these - the zipper checking, the "once a year whether he needs it or not" dog feeding...those "moths that need airing"...the "Daily Mail" addiction..and the "lint filter" just to name my top faves.

Hmm, "my" new years maintenance is to purge my paper files, again!

Clean out the wallet - I have a bad habit of collecting unneeded receipts, ATM slips, etc. Also for your PC, it's a good time run both OS updates, Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware updates. Let them scan if you don't allow automated scans off-hours; mine are set to scan the system when I'm not usually on it - like 2 or 3 AM.

Talking "Mad Men" and noting the title "new year maintenance suggestions" - and advance apologies that this one is aimed squarely at the men on here - in years gone by the one thing I'd only ever want to do once a year was shave! However during the early course of 2014 I discovered the wonders of wet shaving and now I can't wait to get up in the morning and choose my kit, build a rich thick lather the old way and submerge myself in my morning's libation/meditation...a whole new world of sensory experience has opened up. Thoroughly recommended for any guys out there who find shaving a chore.

i can't say for sure, but I think wet shaving refers to the time honored way of adding water to a bar of shaving soap in a mug and using a shaving brush to whip it up into a lather. I tired a few times years back and could just never good a nice head of lather. It was more like wiping soap around my face. I find the modern gels (the ANTI- wet shaving) to be quite luxurious.

Since I've been dabbling with a beard, I've been doing VINTAGE dry shaving. I get out of the shower and use no soap...just drag the razor over the bits of my neck where the beard doesn't grow very well.

Still, I occasionally use a retro barber who will give me a straight edge shave and a hot towel on the face to end it with some fancy oils and skin moisturizers........I feel like a MILLION bucks after that, so maybe I need to re-examine this whole "wet shave" comeback thingie.

*comes back from Googling*....... Guide to a Better Shave: Wet Shaving | Black Lapel I think I need a safety razor and some bad-ass soap. I want to shave like James Bond.

Back