Automated RAW Conversions From V2

Biro

Hall of Famer
Name
Steve
My brother just picked up a Nikon One V2 body from B&H ($399 in a Black Friday sale). For the first time he's interested in shooting raw and converting on his PC because of what he's read about aggressive noise reduction in the V2's in-camera conversion.

He has two questions for me and I thought I''d pass them along to the best and brightest here at Photographers Lounge so I could give him some meaty feedback:

1) What would be the best raw converter/photo processor to use on his Windows PC without spending too much money?

2) How about some advice about settings for automated conversion of all of his images as he uploads them to his computer as opposed to converting each one manually. Is one program better than another for that... and any advice on the actual settings?

I pass along these questions because I've been running Mac and Aperture/iPhoto for the past six years and don't use raw all that often - and certainly don't convert everything as I upload. But that may change soon. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Adobe Lightroom allows batch processing. Changes can be applied to multiple selected photos. Selected photos can be exported to JPEG, and resize parameters can be specified for the exports. It really is fast and easy.

I don't know what software ships with the Nikons, but Lightroom batch processing fast and easy and is reasonably affordable these days. But I would be surprised if Nikons software isn't also simple and intuitive. I would also assume that the V2 would allow one to turn off NR and allow the user to do any NR in post. The first thing I do on all my cameras is turn off noise reduction. Noise doesn't bother me like it did 4 or 5 years ago where it was really ugly. And NR in post is always loads better than any in-camera processing.

Back