Pentax An Unexpected Lens Purchase

Biro

Hall of Famer
Name
Steve
I surprised myself today by ordering another lens for my Pentax DSLR kit: The DA 20-40mm f/2.8-4.0 Limited WR. I haven't added anything to my Pentax gear for quite a while. But if this lens works out nearly as well as I hope it will, I should be able to sell off two or three other lenses.

I'm not ready to give up my Pentax equipment yet - but I am trying pare the kit down to mostly DA Limited primes and a few specialty zooms (such as the 12-24 ultra-wide angle and the 50-300 telephoto). The fact that the 20-40mm is smaller than all of my wide-to-normal zooms is a big help. It's also faster than all but my big and heavy DA* 16-50 f/2.8. And it has weather resistance.

The best part: The lens has been priced at $999 since its introduction. But it's currently on a Black Friday sale for $679. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1014041-REG/pentax_23000_hd_pentax_da_20_40mm.html. I expect this price to go away by the end of the day (midnight) on Monday, Dec. 1.

The DA 20-40mm Limited is not perfect. But there are things I can forgive and live with at $679 that I can't at $1000.

I owned it for a bit but the budget tightened soon after :(. It's a very nice lens, and when it costs the same as just two Limited primes that does indeed make a difference. It was definitely a more satisfying lens than the 18-135 copies that I tried.

Back