Cloud Servers

Djarum

All-Pro
Name
Jason
I'm not sure if any of you guys have been following the celebrity news in the last few days, but iCloud was hacked and many celebs had NSFW photos copied from iCloud. I've always wondered how safe these servers are. I'm not sure how iCloud differs from something like flickr. It seems like a novel idea, but wouldn't putting photos on some USB drives in a safe storage location be safer? Anyone use those services?

Cloud is mature technology in each of it's forms - private, virtual private and public. Flickr is not cloud tech, Google Drive, Amazon Drive and Dropbox are, as is iCloud. Corporates tend to stay away from iCloud, however because it is relatively insecure, lacking any form of secure encryption. That said the celebrities who have had their accounts hacked were victims of nothing more high tech than phishing, and inductive reasoning - in other word the wetware was the weakest link. Use such things by all means, but be sensible with passwords.

Thanks Bill.

I guess even as much as I am apart of this high tech world with my job and everyday life, I'm a bit paranoid. I guess I'm more old school and would think a dedicated network or USB drive would be more secure. Granted, that means one has to have closer proximity to the device to gain access. In this phishing/hacking case, one has to wonder why would celebrities need remote access to that sort of data/photos in the first place. I've been debating on a plan for myself to back up all my photos and data, roughly a terrabyte. Currently I use USB drives. SSD might be a little better when it comes a little more affordable for me.

Ironically most of the companies I work with ban USB drives as high risk items. They are a major vector for viruses.

If one is going from computer to computer with one..you bet. If I have a clean computer and back it all up to a USB and only plug it in when I need to backup, I don't see the problem. If I have an infected computer I'll clean it before backing up photos/data.

If one is going from computer to computer with one..you bet. If I have a clean computer and back it all up to a USB and only plug it in when I need to backup, I don't see the problem. If I have an infected computer I'll clean it before backing up photos/data.

There are applications about these days which do allow you to set up your "own cloud" service so you can access when away from home, for example. I like iCloud but don't think I'll be switching over to the storage service. I like it the way it is right now. I think theres going to be an option to change, or not, once Yosemite is released. I like dropbox, box and copy.

How to Set Up Your Own Private Cloud Storage Service in Five Minutes with OwnCloud

As icloud is at the moment... its more about streaming from one device to another. For example, if I load a bunch of photographs onto my computer, they are also available to my ipads and iphone. It would be nice if it were direct but it goes via the icloud servers. I have not yet got any capacity to store my photographs in icloud (in a way that I can access them direct) so I am not sure exactly how the celebs got done. The hackers must have found some way into that photostream.

Back