Lapland, Nordkapp, Lofoten

Awesome! I also liked the other images from Up North that I saw on your flickr stream. Got any more? Any stories to tell?

Oh, and I see you've been shooting in my hometown (Rotterdam), nice work! (y)

Lapland is a region in the most northern parts of Scandinavia (Finland, Sweden, Norway). The Nordkapp is the most Northern location, with only sea between you and the North Pole. The Lofoten is a range of islands on the coast of Norway. Most of the trip took place above the arctic circle.

As for the stories: we drove our own car, which was partly transported by boat (27 hours between Travemünde (Germany) and Helsinki (Finland)) and train (12 hours between Helsinki and the capital of Finnish Lapland, Rovaniemi. Even with a new car: it broke down just across the border between Finland and Norway. The nearest repair possibility was in Alta (Norway) 195 km further, so we travelled by transport car for a bit as well . Especially when things go in another way than originally planned, and you're in need of help, you get to appreciate the friendly nature of the people you encounter. Thanks to the great help of the Ford dealership in Alta (Norway) where they went out of their way to help us, we could reach the Nordkapp with one of their cars, while they had spare parts for our car flown in. Two days later, we could go on on our trip.

Both the landscapes and the people of this northern region have won me over, so I guess this won't be our last trip there.

I see the houses are built up on supports from the water level. Are there ever any cases where the lower level of a house gets flooded? You probably don't get many hurricanes up there.

I haven't been to the North Norway as I travelled mostly South Norway, but from what I saw Norwegian fjords are similar to West Coast Canada fjords and the weather is similar also. They have storms, but maybe not like East coast hurricanes... Hurricanes happens at North Atlantic Ocean or the Northeast Pacific Ocean. They also have floods in Norway...

I see the houses are built up on supports from the water level. Are there ever any cases where the lower level of a house gets flooded? You probably don't get many hurricanes up there.

Back