Feedback Shutting down threads in the *watering hole*???

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a contentious issue every time, Sue. Every thread on the subject has degenerated, some quicker than others. I regret my participation and Luke was right to close the thread when he did.

Sent from another Galaxy

My OS can beat up your OS.

but seriously Sue, no one is pointing fingers, but it's no different than politics or religion....there is no RIGHT answer and people get so wrapped up in them and some people identify themselves by them that it just gets too heated. It's not worth it. Frankly, I don't even like Sony vs Fuji arguments, but at least that is about cameras. (and whomever made that comment recently about Fujis being lousy at high ISO.....I have a thing or two I want to say to you if you want to step out back :tongue:)

I hope you'll get over your outrage soon, Sue. I fear Herman may not. Dissent of opinion is fine, but unrest and thrashing about relating to what OS system one prefers is a bit beneath the great minds here frankly and I'll do what I can to keep it out.

Reactions: BBW
I passed over the original thread, but after reading about it being locked, I took a look….

Looks pretty tame, actually, with people sharing their own experiences with each platform. I didn't see any ad hominems or one-upmanship. Just what I'd expect from this group.

But the mods are the mods, and they've done a great job up to now so I feel no need to debate.

john
Mac and PC

Looks pretty tame, actually, with people sharing their own experiences with each platform. I didn't see any ad hominems or one-upmanship. Just what I'd expect from this group.

This!

But the mods are the mods

And this.

I wanted to set Jock straight about his remark regarding the length of Apple support of hardware but clearly that was one of the things that set the mods a-rumbling. And yet, that was about giving factual information and had nothing to do with best or otherwise. Oh well. I concede defeat (reluctantly, because I wasnt done yet)

I'm out.

Its hardly taboo ... But it is very very boring, and on almost every occasion degenerates fast into vituperative unpleasantness.

Nobody ever learns anything useful and a lot of people behave badly

It's not a "taboo topic", but it is an emotive one that transcends logic. We cannot list all the things that have potential for causing a disturbance in the Force, nor would we want to; there is in fact no "list", beyond point 7. of the TOS which specifically forbids political or religious debate.

An insight. In modding matters such as this, I imagine myself at a dinner party, with multiple conversations going on all around. 99% are convivial and in keeping, but occasionally one exchange or another veers into deep water. Under such circumstances it is often better to interrupt early, than allow hackles to rise and animosity to build, which sours the rest of the evening. I've been on enough forums to see this happen all too many times and grudges are then borne from thread to thread, exchange to exchange. I absolutely don't want to see that happen here.

I shall leave my last word on the subject to the Beverly Sisters, the raunchy girl-group of their day:

I don't particularly agree with all of the recent thread closures and deletions either, but modding is not the most fun or easiest task in the world and the site rules do state that any specific objections against moderator actions are meant to be made in private

12. If you object to a moderator action, PM an administrator or the site owner. Do not post your objection in the forum.

But the mods are the mods, and they've done a great job up to now so I feel no need to debate.

I agree.

Cheers, Jock

Luke, by using the word "Mac" before "PC", you are clearly expressing a preference for Macs.

How can we hope to have proper moderation of the forums when the moderators are so impossibly biased?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back