Ricoh My Ricoh GR photos are not really sharp. Please help.

Gerry

Is there any reason why my Ricoh GR photos tend to appear sharper on my monitor when they are taken on the medium jpeg setting? I prefer to shoot Raw + Large but unless I blow these up to 100% on my monitor they often look less than sharp. I don't know if there is a problem with the way I've set the camera up, if the camera is faulty or if it's my monitor. When viewed at 100% the images appear nice and crisp which is really puzzling. I am finding it very challenging to adjust to 28mm but am pretty certain my focussing technique is OK and that camera shake is not the problem. Opening up and closing down the aperture has no real appreciable effect so I am pretty stumped.

By the way I am new to the site so "hello" to all of you and thanks for any advice.

Gerry

The fault would seem to be not with the camera but rather with whatever software you are usjng to view the images and how it is downsampling them to fit on your monitor. I've seen this before with the basic Microsoft picture viewer from Windows. The higher the resolution of the original file the greater the downsampling that it applies, such that it might display the original high-res file softer than a low-res version of the same image that I have resized and exported from Photoshop.

I am using Photoshop Elements 6 on an old imac which I am unable to replace at the moment. The problem is far more noticeable on the GR's images than on my Panasonic TZ30 which would support your explanation. Do you know if there's anything I'd be able to do to improve things or should I just hold on to the Raw files and just resize the jpegs until I'm able to afford a new computer? Thanks.

Do not use JPGs, simple as that. I use Iridient Developer, which gives me 100% of the RAW file. If you have a GR then use good software; the GR is not a toy. BTW the current Mac Book Pros with SSDs are amazing! Much, much faster than my previous standard hard drive MBP. Not cheap of course, but for photographers it's the only option.

To me.. It kind of sounds like a down size algo issue.. Your monitor resolution is not as good as what the raw file size content is using. If I remember correctly, a frame file has an embedded JPEG (very small, I guess 640 size quality), for things like quick preview during file import to your photo editor. The sw needs to either convert the raw dynamically and down size to your monitor or use the embedded JPEG. If the raw support is there, then I would hope it is doing on the fly raw convert and down sizing.

On a MAC, the camera file support is built in as part of the system support files so that if u can view it on Aperture correctly, iPhoto and Preview should also handle it. I would check iPhoto and preview against what u are seeing in adobe elements..

Gary

Sent from my iPad using SeriousCompacts

Back