Anyone use Adobe's Creative Cloud?

Woody112704

Veteran
Name
Jared
I just recently tested Capture One and LR 5 against each other and there wasn't enough difference between the 2 to justify the over double the price of LR5 so I was wondering if anyone on here is using Adobe's Creative Cloud as they have a pretty good price for the photography one with LR and Photoshop, just a few questions.

How do you like it? Have you had any issues with it being pretty much just online only?

And if you could give just a few thoughts on it I would appreciate it.

Biggest issue for me is that you pay through the nose for the use of applications you can never own. You're renting them, and if at some time you are unable or unwilling to continue, you can not continue to use the apps. Yes, you get all updates, yes, it seems like a good deal, but for myself ... I would prefer to outright own my stuff than be stuck having to keep paying in order to access the software. Its a barrel I do not wish to be over. YMMV especially if you are someone who uses these apps in your business, in which case I'm certain it would be justifiable. For a hobby photographer with limited funds, it just isnt.

I just recently tested Capture One and LR 5 against each other and there wasn't enough difference between the 2 to justify the over double the price of LR5 so I was wondering if anyone on here is using Adobe's Creative Cloud as they have a pretty good price for the photography one with LR and Photoshop, just a few questions.

How do you like it? Have you had any issues with it being pretty much just online only?

And if you could give just a few thoughts on it I would appreciate it.

How do you manage your digital photographs now? What software are you using and how do you organize them?

If you're happy with your current workflow why spend the extra money to learn a two new programs?

I switched to Lightroom over a year ago from Aperture since it came free with my camera. But not because it was "free" but more importantly the two companies work together in camera/lens profiles.

One of my biggest complaints in today's digital photography world is the major camera manufacturers unwilling to work directly with the top images editing/digital asset management companies in providing out of the box compatibility. IMO, that Fuji is the worse in that their X-Trans sensor is a challenge for these companies to work with.

Having said that, I have no problem spending $120/year to use the latest versions Lightroom and Photoshop. In the past you'd have to pay over $600 for Photoshop alone and then all those upgrade costs down the road.

I also assume you do update your computer hardware from time to time? I prefer having the latest tech to ensure I'm getting the most out of my camera's RAW files. (I only shoot in RAW)

Oh, BTW, you don't have to always be online to use the programs.

I am using the full Cloud for work. The applications don't act any differently than non-Cloud applications... you just have this Adobe Cloud manager running in the background to make sure you have a legitimate license (and download updates, etc.). I know there are some additional, Cloud-specific features, but so far I haven't needed to use any of them.

The $10/month deal seems like a good deal if you used Photoshop. I just use LR and Nik personally, so not a good value for me.

I use Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, and Lightroom regularly, so it's actually a decent deal for me. I'm not too concerned with long term compatibility/continuity - over the decades I've used so many programs and storage formats that became obsolete - Freehand, Pagemaker, Quark, GRASP, Zip drives, Bernouilli drives, floppy discs, etc. as long as I don't become obsolete I'm happy.

I have a CC subscription, and have used Lightroom for a few years now. Personally I'm very happy with the $10/Month option to have Lightroom and Photoshop on both my Desktop and Laptop. The big benefit I see in CC is that I never have to worry about upgrades or new versions. I think keeping up to late with latest software helps to get the very best you can out of whatever RAW files you have.. Particularly Fuji in my case.

As Duane has mentioned, Fuji's support of lightroom, or Lightrooms support of Fuji, has been a real pain for me in the past. I battled on because Lightroom just worked for me, and I picked it up pretty quick. I'm still no Photoshop expert, but can do what I need to with it, when I need to.

I also use Google Nik Collection occasionally which fits into my Lightroom workflow nicely.

I use Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, and Lightroom regularly, so it's actually a decent deal for me. I'm not too concerned with long term compatibility/continuity - over the decades I've used so many programs and storage formats that became obsolete - Freehand, Pagemaker, Quark, GRASP, Zip drives, Bernouilli drives, floppy discs, etc. as long as I don't become obsolete I'm happy.

Im in the same boat. It works great for me although I use much of the Adobe software on a daily basis.

Either way it definitely does not work bad...

B

I subscribed to Adobe's Creative Cloud a couple of months ago. I use mostly Photoshop on a fairly regular (if not daily) basis.

I can detect no difference from when I was running Photoshop CS5. The $10 monthly deal works great for me, since Photoshop upgrades were $200. It´s true you did not have to upgrade every time a new version came out (I actually skipped CS6) but if you bought a new camera and your version of ACR did not include it, you were dead in the water.

If the CC setup means that Adobe will offer upgrades more frequently, I see that as another positive.

Cheers,

Antonio

I've been using the Cloud since the inception of the program. I also own CS6 and LR so if I ever decide to drop the subscription program I'll still have software that I know how to use. I ran the numbers and at $120 a year I'm still better off than buying the updates that I bought in the past plus I don't have to keep an eye out for new versions.
I don't use any of Adobe's cloud storage. I don't see anything wrong with it; I just have my own way of doing things.
I'm one of the few who use LR for Fuji RAF files and have no problem with it. It took a little time to get a preset but once I got there it's been splendid. Now, if they'd only do something about the Sigma X3F files...

I don't use it because I don't use Photoshop and I don't think it makes economic sense for someone just using Lightroom. But if I was a Photoshop user I'm sure I'd do it that way. I don't have any issue with the payment model or the concept of renting vs owning the software. I don't OWN Gmail and tecnically I probably don't OWN my large backlog of gmail emails - if Google suddenly ceased to exist, a lot of my informal personal record-keeping would be gone with it. I stopped "buying" music within the past year or so and now subscribe to Spotify anf find it a far more useful modelf for the way I consume and enjoy music than buying songs or albums anymore. If they did a LR only version for something like $2-3 per month, I'd do it rather than "own" the software, but at $10 it doesn't make sense to me.

-Ray

Thanks for your input guys. I have LR4 but am needing to upgrade to something so I can just load the Raw files from my X-T1 directly into it. After playing with some sharpening presets that a guy posted a link to on the fuji forums I found that there wasn't enough of a difference to justify buying Capture One. And I'm going to be getting into some photography that is going to require me to use Photoshop so I think it sounds like a good deal. Thank you again for your replies.

I was annoyed at first when the subscription only service came in - the clone tools in PS are now so good that when sorting out bird images I cannot really do without them, (all those leaves and twigs).

I have always used LR since it's inception and I could not manage without it.

If you guys are only paying US$10 per month, as usual we in the UK are getting "ripped off" again as we pay £8.78, (US$14,75) ……. but they they always seem to get away with it ….. and that is the worry for the future …….. they will try to increase the price as much as they can once they have sucked in more and more people, (I suppose that's where the word "suckers" comes from) ………. as you can see "Grumpy old man and getting more grumpy by the day"

I subscribed in December and am fairly happy with it. My work flow was to develop 16 bit tiffs from raw in Lightroom and then do all the rest of my processing in Photoshop. It is just how I like to work, so the deal made sense to me.

One issue that is presently bugging me is that I cannot print from inside the new Photoshop and I lost my twain driver for an old but very good Epson flatbad scanner -- that I also use to scan 4x5 film. I had to fire up the XP machine and print from inside CS2 this evening. I may be a weird glitch that can be fixed, but I has assumed getting a windows 7 driver for the scanner would let me use it in Photoshop. Instead I have to use Epson's interface, which I don't really like.

CS2 still does everything I need, so I'm not sure I'll resubscribe, but I don't regret giving it a try.

I subscribed in December and am fairly happy with it. My work flow was to develop 16 bit tiffs from raw in Lightroom and then do all the rest of my processing in Photoshop. It is just how I like to work, so the deal made sense to me.

One issue that is presently bugging me is that I cannot print from inside the new Photoshop and I lost my twain driver for an old but very good Epson flatbad scanner -- that I also use to scan 4x5 film. I had to fire up the XP machine and print from inside CS2 this evening. I may be a weird glitch that can be fixed, but I has assumed getting a windows 7 driver for the scanner would let me use it in Photoshop. Instead I have to use Epson's interface, which I don't really like.

CS2 still does everything I need, so I'm not sure I'll resubscribe, but I don't regret giving it a try.

I wonder if CS6 created stuff is compatible with CS2? Have you found you can open your recent stuff in the old suite? (That is, if you have saved psd with layers) I'm still on CS5 (PS only) but am in the process of switching to Aperture and one or more PS alternatives on my Mac. Mind you, all my current cameras are OK, RAW-wise... and I just won't buy one that isnt, in future :)

I went for the £8.78 a month option, mostly because I get to use both programs on my laptop and iMac, and I was interested in learning Photoshop. However so far I haven't really looked at Photoshop at all, it just seems so daunting...so maybe if the price goes up after a year I'll just buy a copy of LR for £75 off Amazon.

Youtube videos for Photoshop. It really isn't all too bad if you can get some time to practice and play with it. I really like Phlearn's videos. They have a ton of very neat videos on Youtube.

Apparently there's an update coming in June, theres an "event" on the 18th. I didn't realise you can still buy the Adobe stuff outright. That makes it not so bad, I guess, for those who don't necessarily need everything to be latest and greatest. (Costs will be stupid, of course)

I haven't had any problem opening files made in the new Photoshop in CS2, so I imagine the PSD format it OK throughout. The old pdf's I have open in any of the Photoshop versions I've used.

I'm hoping the having updated my bios, that I'll be able to print from the current version.

Back