best "sweep panorama" compact/CSC?

tilman

All-Pro
I'm having a play with panoramas lately and am looking for the most intuitive way to create them.

So far I've been taking single photos and stitching them in Photoshop, which works fine.
I find it hard though to pre-visualize the result while taking the photos. (e.g. quickly trying different angles, viewpoints, etc.)

On yesterdays photo outing I used my smartphone's sweep panorama to do some test panoramas, until I found the composition I liked best. Then I took the usual succession of stills with my "real camera", trying to duplicate that composition.
This worked to some degree and with some more practice I'll probably get better.

I was wondering though, what are the best options for in-camera panoramas?
Ideally, I'd like the ease of use of a smartphone -> move the camera and see the panorama-creation live on screen. (but at a better quality than my horrible cheapo-Android-phone :) )

Does such a thing exist?
I'm open to CSC's, compact cameras, even smartphones :)

cheers,
Tilman

iPhone 5s pano mode. Easy peasy . I like it.

Nice!
Yeah, I've seen some really nice iphone panoramas from other people too.

What's the average image resolution of the iPhones panorama shots?
(I don't need mega-high. When I currently stitch my EM-5 shots I get into 10.000-pixel-territory fairly fast, which I don't really need.)

Among dedicated photo cameras, I think Sony (who to the best of my knowledge were also first to come up with the technology) have the best reputation. All i can say is that my sony hx9v does it significantly better than my fuji x100. I've no idea if Sony cameras do it better than (apple) camera phones

I believe Bart is correct when speaking of Sony being first in the consumer camera market to offer in-camera panos. I've never bothered comparing them. They all seem to do a "decent" job, but all would be better hand-stitched. Maybe I'll do a quick and dirty shootout tomorrow with 3 different brands.

That would be amazing, Luke!
I'm always torn between perfectionism and pragmatism. Good enough is most of the time good enough, but I still have a critical eye :-D

The less time I have to spend at a computer at home though, the better. :)

never ever had the slightest problem shooting panos with the x100. i have zero understanding as to how the process could be easier or more effective, as one can control every factor manually or let the camera control everything. it is one of my favorite features of this feature rich camera.

never ever had the slightest problem shooting panos with the x100. i have zero understanding as to how the process could be easier or more effective, as one can control every factor manually or let the camera control everything. it is one of my favorite features of this feature rich camera.

I suspect it all works the same way with the XE1 but a whole lot quieter because if the lens shutter.

It was pouring rain this morning so no panos today (though I did shoot one in my office.....LOL). And now you've given me the pano fever. So while it's slow at work today, I'll share some links to examples of panos from various cameras so that we can see a wider variety of what these cameras can do. Auto-stitching has come a long way indeed.

Here's a flickr group dedicated to Fuji X10, X100 and X-Pro1 panos (and I presume other more recent Fuji's as well) ......... Panorama mode Fuji X-Cameras

And a group for RX100 panos (don't adjust your screen....there is someone in this group doing 3D panos (if you have some red/cyan glasses....try 'em out)....... SONY RX100 RX-100 Panoramas

I actually couldn;t find any more camera specific panorama groups....I'll keep looking.

Back