GR goes for a Tokyo Subway ride

Really nice gritty series, Bob - I've got a couple of favorites myself. #2 yes, for sure - but also that first one...and the fourth where the fellow is so intent on his paperback, his face showing a lot of emotion, the young woman lost in her cell phone and that museum poster behind her. Really nicely done!

Wow, what a nice, punchy, contrasty, Tri-X pushed to 1600 kind of look to your stuff!

Being an oldtimer, I recall that in the 1960s, very often the only way you could get available light, documentary photographs was to shoot Tri-X and push it hard. Your images just transported me back in time, and I like it!

Cheers, Jock

Thanks that is just the look I was after, those were some fun days, carrying a brick of trix, with me all of the time

Years ago, I ran into a photographer -- I think his name was Carl -- and he had just completed a project for Albany Medical Center here in New York State. They wanted a documentary look to the photos for a brochure on The Children's Hospital, so they shot Tri-X and processed it for grain.

The opening page of the brochure was a shot of a two-year-old girl with an elfin look, big eyes, who was recovering from open heart surgery. She was sitting up with this big suture line on her chest, and the image absolutely stopped me in my tracks. It was an astonishing photograph, one that I remember decades later.

Your stuff brought me back there. Thanks!

Cheers, Jock

Really great set.. Rain and city streets can just be magical some days.

I just got my GR a week ago, already love this thing. Kicking myself for not having it in Beijing/Shanghai.. Could've had so many more great street shots those times I left my 5D3 in the hotel room. :(

Back