Seeking advice on workshop for people with less vision

pniev

Student for life
Hello all,

I volunteered to host a photography workshop for people suffering from Glaucoma. Their loss of sight will be at various stages, varying from no loss at all to heavy "pixel loss" and contrast-loss. Probably levels of experience will also vary. The workshop will be around 45-60 minutes. Of course, I could give a presentation about tools such as hoodman's viewfinder, 30" screens, composition, etc. but I'd like to have them involved and experiment with I-do-not-know-what-yet.

Can you help me with some examples of an entertaining event?

Any ideas or help is much appreciated!

Peter

PS: if you want to join me, please feel free to contact me. Be aware though that this is a voluntary thing

I taught some motorcycle photography workshops last summer with photography enthusiasts. Mostly point-and-shoot beginner level. Most were happy to be taught the basics about operating their own camera and small tips on composition and creative use of zoom. We rode around, stopped at a few pre-selected places, and at each one I gave another tip. I didn't spend any time on gear unless they asked. A good time was had by all.

I don't know how this relates to your situation, but I thought that I'd share my experience. Best of luck!

Peter, in the UK there is a charity called the Disabled Photographers' Society. I did some fundraising for them a few years ago. Their website - which may be helpful and interesting to you in it's own right - can be displayed in a range of text and background colours to help the visually impaired. It may be worth reaching out to them to see if they have someone you can talk to for help and advice - they are friendly people.

On another note, I present regularly as part of my "day job". If you would like some tips or help in structuring things or going for impact, I am happy to give you some pointers - drop me a PM to get in touch. The best presentation training I have found is from Articulus - again worth a visit.

Hope this helps, and good luck with it.

I have a somewhat weird suggestion

Peter,

This stems from my experience shooting with the Olympus D550, which has a tiny screen roughly the size of a postage stamp.

First, assuming you get clouds and other evidence of weather systems moving through where you live, I suggest that folk with less vision try shooting pictures of the sky. Where I live, there is often something interesting going on overhead.

Second, I suggest that the folks with less vision compose using shapes in the frame of the rear screen. In other words, if you can't see the details very well in the rear screen, compose the shot with what you can see. This what I had to do with the small screen on the D550. I would see: "clouds there, trees there" as elements in the frame and then take the shot. Granted, this is a kind of "by guess and by God" approach to photography, but I managed to get some pretty neat shots that way.

I hope this helps.

Cheers, Jock

Very helpful advice, everyone. Thank you! Initially I thought I had to stay inside with the group but your ideas helped me conclude that it's better to go outside and shoot. So I am going to ask people to bring their cameras and go out, weather permitted. The "element" idea is a great idea too! I was hoping to get some Hoodman's but my dealer doesn't sell them.
Thanks again, Peter

Back