Favourite family

Boid

All-Pro
Name
Rajiv
The nicest man I've ever known died a few months ago.

My dad's eldest brother, a refugee from Bangladesh, who raised his seven siblings with sheer determination, kindness and very very little money, passed away after a short bout with cancer at the ripe old age of 82.

I went to his funeral in Calcutta after many years of staying away, here's what I saw.

It was not the dark filling my eyes
And mouth appalled me; not even the drip
Of rain like blood from the one tree
Weather-tortured. It was the dark
Silting the veins of that sick man
I left stranded upon the vast
And lonely shore of his bleak bed.

~ RS Thomas

K4Tc50j.jpg

5ufRoUz.jpg

Z8QNu6i.jpg

Woman prays to a wall
MN1EbWi.jpg

NE5g0jL.jpg

y22PSAK.jpg

eLYYscn.jpg

A younger brother shares stories from his childhood and then stops abdruptly.
n9YiROp.jpg

JaS5gIs.jpg

The help watch TV
ZZC8hbJ.jpg

JTSMuSR.jpg

U0FXxjv.jpg

The best friend. "I'm next but I've seen it all, and I'm ready"
F1zal3F.jpg

SXf5eiX.jpg

According to hindu beliefs, crows link the dead and the living. On the last day of the mourning rituals, crows are fed offerings so that they may carry it to the dead.
cUu8OGN.jpg

Thank you everyone for your kind words. Much appreciated.

Though I must admit that the pictures convey more gloom than what was the prevalent mood there. Probably more a reflection of how I felt.

I'll miss him. He was from the old world and a lovely lovely bloke.

Sorry for your loss, Rajiv. However, in times like these, Dumbledore's words always ring in my head: mourn for the living, not the dead. We still have some ways to go to get to that better place. :)

We all have had our share of losses and I find that telling stories about them (like your other uncle) are a wonderful source of joy -- but those abrupt stops are what always get me. Your pictures are a very nice tribute to him.

Back